What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can YOU help me find:

The Carnivorous Plants. Juniper BE, Robins RJ, Joel DM. 1989 London, etc.: Academic Press
ISBN: 0123921708

I've found this book through interlibrary loan but have not been able to find a digital copy of it or a hard copy affordable for a grad student...$450 is a bit steep... It's out of print and I'd like to own a copy of it without paying with cash, so if you have an old copy just sitting around and would accept paypal and or plants as payment or even just give me a lead shoot me a PM.

It's a shot in the dark but worth a try... Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out :hail:

Last edited:
Wow, quite a hunt you're on there. Even Alibris has no fresh leads. Addall turned up a few more results, but $450 is still the best price.
~Joe

I've got a feeling it'd be easier to find a flowering N. edwardsiana... hopefully someone will prove me wrong...

If they do, make sure you go buy a lotto ticket too. XD
In all seriousness though, good luck on your search. I also have a thing for rare books, and this looks like a prize.
~Joe

Thanks, I just find it shocking that with all the technology we have today these companies have not found the time to digitalize something like this. It's a fantastic book full of great pictures and surely the authors would not be against making more $$$... The book is only 20-21 years old and it's already out of print... Shame...

Books on carnivorous plants rarely go past the first printing. There simply isn't enough of a market for them. Twenty years ago there were even less demand. It probably took the publisher 8 years or more to sell all of them.

Understandable, this hobby is by no means the one of the masses. Again thought a digital copy would not only satisfy the small group of hobbyist but also save the publisher some serious money in paper and printing cost making it more likely for them to meet a quota. Unfortunately the internet was hardly, if at all available, back in '89.
I'll keep my chin up and cross my fingers, surely it has to be gathering dust on SOMEBODY'S shelf...

I have like twenty books on my computer for CPs but I don't have this one... must find!

*applause*
~Joe

Nu, it's sold out :<

Thanks MYHumminbird, unfortunately when I attempted to add to cart..."The item selected could not be added to your Shopping Cart."

Go figure... Thanks anyways for the lead :)

I think Seedjar beat me to it ;)

I can't believe it, I was sure it was in stock before I posted. Sorry

Bahaha, I wish, but if I had $200 to spend on plant books... well... I'd be spending it on plants instead. Or my setup. Or my credit card bills. XD
Sorry you missed it French, but Scout's honor, I wouldn't snipe something like that knowing a friend was having trouble finding it. Unless I was secretly getting it for your birthday. But don't hold your breath.
~Joe

:blush: Well shucks... It's December 8th BTW :-))

Short of not returning it to the library and paying the fine it's mostly likely going to end up that I'll have to wait to get my 'big boy' job... Would be nice to have one on hand though, specially for my thesis. It's already been cited by 320 separate sources and has a review...
Speaking of sniping though Ebay turned up nothing...

I'll just keep checking it out until I've read what I wanted to read I guess...

Best luck. I feel a little bad - I certainly don't have the cash but when I looked at the link it still appeared to be there... If only I had a big boy job, too. :D
~Joe

I think that's a different one, I found that on Addall too. Different ISBN: 0123921708/9780123921703 is the one by Juniper, Robins and Joel.
~Joe

:-O

That may be it! The covers differe (the original is a plain green hardcover) but the page numbers seem similar. Different publisher and author but the content will have the final word... It's seems to be a republish of another book though but who knows without opening it?
Thanks so much!:hail:

Google's edition of Lloyd has 287 pages, but Juniper et al. appears to have 353, at least in the description I see. I can't find it on Google though. :(
~Joe

PS - Wikipedia says Lloyd wrote his book in 42.

Back