What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pelican Flower (Aristolochia grandiflora)---I got some seeds up for trade

Pelican Flower (Aristolochia grandiflora)---I got some seeds up for trade,
pelican-flower.jpg

arist_grandiflora2Nov08b.jpg

is this just for the usa or are you willing to trade to uk also

Plants

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

i hope so this is a great plant when you let me know if you will send to the gb i will tell you what i have for trade :D

plants

what kind of growing conditions does it need and how big does it get

I was told that you can grow them in a hanging pot, thats what I am going to do...

Category:
Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Vines and Climbers

Height:
20-30 ft. (6-9 m)

Spacing:
8-10 ft. (2.4-3 m)

Hardiness:
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Sun Exposure:
Full Sun

Danger:
Parts of plant are poisonous if ingested

Bloom Color:
Scarlet (Dark Red)

Bloom Time:
Late Spring/Early Summer
Mid Summer
Late Summer/Early Fall

Foliage:
Evergreen

Other details:
Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater
Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Soil pH requirements:
6.1 to 6.5 (mildly acidic)
6.6 to 7.5 (neutral)
7.6 to 7.8 (mildly alkaline)

Patent Information:
Non-patented

Propagation Methods:
From seed; sow indoors before last frost

Seed Collecting:
Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

The Pelican flower vine also known as Dutchman's Pipe, Fly Catcher flower, or Aristolochia grandiflora is native to Central America.

This vigorous vine produces giant and very attractive flowers of up to 8" wide with a characteristic long tail. Once the flower opens it is cream color on the outside with a dark red center.

But the most interesting characteristic of these flowers is that they give off a strong scent that attracts flies to it. Once the flower opens, flies get attracted inside of the flower and get trapped helping in flower pollination. Usually you can open a flower and find a bunch of dead flies that were trapped in it.

The flower's scent is strong and attracts flies and other insects but could be unpleasant to some people as it resembles a rotten meat smell. You can keep the plant downwind or away from the house and keep the flies away as well!

The Pelican flower vine can be grown in containers on a trellis and be brought indoors during winter. It's ideal to plant in hanging baskets where it can be kept to a manageable size of 2-4 feet long.

It takes about one to two months for the seeds to germinate.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=645pT6BnbIo

ok so i have

bird of paradise (3 seeds)
stawberry alexandra (strawberry plant)
cape gooseberry
watermelon
mixed venus fly trap seeds (about 10-15)
primrose seeds
pansys seeds

willing to mix seeds in different packs if you wished

Plants

I wish to trade. Really, really, really wish to trade.

Do you like Utricularia? I have a bunch U. longifolia, bisquemata, arenaria, livid, gibba, plus more I need to go look at. I also have some Mexican butterworts. Again, I'm at work, and need to go look once I get home. I'll be able to get more names for you then.

i also have 2 different drosera not sure what ones both required to be put in fridge before planting so didnt bother planting them :d lazy me

Plants

haha i love the bottom pic cheez nice stuff

wow are you trying to hijack my trades..

I am looking for plants that will grow in a terrarium.

wish i had some cobra lily seeds left now the only thing you would be intrested in in my seeds is venus fly trap or drosera but these all require dormancy 2 drosera require strat also

Plants

wow are you trying to hijack my trades..

I am looking for plants that will grow in a terrarium.

I Wouldn't Do That...

Was just offering since I have a lot of seeds

My 1st year growing pipe vines & I've been digging on them & would like to add more to my collection

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

haha i love the bottom pic cheez nice stuff

Thanx...

Back