What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pots?

I received these pots a while ago from a member that doesn't log on too often and am now running low on them. With my seasonal re-potting of my Sarrs I'd like to get my hand on a supply of these while trying to keep the costs as low as possible. Being a Grad student means I am a penny pincher... I'd like to trade or at least locate a good numbers of these pots. These are 6 inches high, 5 inches wide at the top and 4 inches wide at the bottom and quite study *not the flimsy think layered pots that need replaced every 1 or 2 years*. If anyone has any extra laying around trade some material for them. Thanks!

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

You could ask a gardencenter for some?
The one near here has tons and tons of them, they save them up until they got a truckload full then send them back to were they came from.

I have the local place has nothing and won't be getting anything sturdy in unfortunately...

I find nursery pots by the dumpsters at Lowes and Home Depot. They often are set aside from everything else - there isn't exactly a "free to take" sign but I know whoever is leaving them there expects someone to come get them. Another trick is to look for land that's being developed and landscaped - if you ever see a pallet of hedges in pots being set out to be planted, you can be almost sure that there will be a stack of pots nearby the next night.
~Joe

Hmm I'm heading that way in a little bit... Not exactly the right time of the season but who knows? Thanks for the tip :)

its exactly the right time of season, hedges are planted when dedicious trees are dormant.

My local hydroponic stores carry the pots you are looking for. Not all of them have them so you may need to call around a little.

I've got a bunch of the gallon size nursery pots somewhere in the shed. They might be too big for what you need though.

i don't have those square pot I have gallon size not the flimsy type
I also have some smaller pots called bands 2 3/8 X 5" had been used at a rose nursery would need to be cleaned up a bit Let me know I;ll send as many as can fit in a huge box the cheapest way possible

Grannelo@aol.com
Lois

Hey Yann,

Small world...I just bought 25 of those exact pots at Calwest Tropical Supply out here in SoCal. They were $1 a piece but they are very sturdy as you said. Unfortunately I already used all of them but Calwest does ship anywhere in the country. They are not the cheapest pot but they seem like they will last which is why I tried them. Good luck.

If you had a resale license you buy them wholesale from McConkey who makes those pots. Many of the nurseries on the West Coast buy from them. $44 for a case of 264 - about 17 cents a pot. Don't you love the markup?

http://www.mcconkeyco.com/File.ashx?cid=1491

i don't have those square pot I have gallon size not the flimsy type
I also have some smaller pots called bands 2 3/8 X 5" had been used at a rose nursery would need to be cleaned up a bit Let me know I;ll send as many as can fit in a huge box the cheapest way possible

Grannelo@aol.com
Lois

Thanks Lois, I'll email you.

Hey Yann,

Small world...I just bought 25 of those exact pots at Calwest Tropical Supply out here in SoCal. They were $1 a piece but they are very sturdy as you said. Unfortunately I already used all of them but Calwest does ship anywhere in the country. They are not the cheapest pot but they seem like they will last which is why I tried them. Good luck.

I guess great minds think alike right? :) I just checked out their website but didn't find large pots for that price though they had a couple others that may be worth checking out. Thanks for the tip Fred.

Thanks for the tip NaN, my ultimate solution is to just move over to CA :p

Back