What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do not send

Winter is paying a quick visit. if you are sending anything to me please wait until after next Tuesday. I will wait to send out unless requested otherwise. If you do want me to get your plants out between storms I will, but I can not guarantee their condition upon arrival.

Thanks for the warning. Have you recived yours yet?

Last edited:
If you put them in plastic bags and maybe a little of those nuggests or some bubble wrap they should be fine if someone requests you to.

Or you could just show a little patience and not risk killing some plants someone put a lot of time and love into. I think everyone would agree that is the best option.

The problem is that the post office often leave boxes on the trucks at night = dead plants. I will be mailing yours eou, and marking the box 'do not freeze' and then we will hope.

I'd rather show some patience and get live plants.. than take the risk. So I'm gonna wait to have you ship Rose. Thanks!

So yours arrived safely Rose?

Last edited:
Let me give you an example eou..

I ordered a $100 N. x trusmadiensis Clone 1 back before Christmas.. AND IT STILL HASN'T SHIPPED. Know why? Because the night time temps here aren't above 40*F. Yes, I really want that plant.. and I paid extra for a heat pack. But I'm not blowing them up begging them to ship. All because I'd rather be safe than sorry. ;)

I know Mass you already told me. ;)

Last edited:
Or, eou, you could wait another couple weeks until you BOTH have good weather, rather than put the plants at risk. I think you should listen to their advice and practice some patience!

I know Presto Mass has already told me thanks though for trying to help.

Last edited:
I am very sorry, but temps are not making it into the 30's. I will add plants to your box to make up for the wait.

@eou: i sent you a pm. i hope you read it carefully and take it into consideration.

It's ok Copper i understand.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Did yours arrive safely?

If you put them in plastic bags and maybe a little of those nuggests or some bubble wrap they should be fine if someone requests you to.

no, they wont be fine at all..very bad idea.
"all" that "extra" insulation will keep the plants "warm" for about 5 minutes longer than being shipped in a plain thin paper envelope..also, insulation does nothing without a heat source.

5 minutes of extra warmth isnt much help when the plant is in the mail for 3 to 7 days..

Scot

They would be if they are North American CP. ;)

They would be if they are North American CP. ;)

also wrong..
North American CPs die all the time from temps that are too cold.
and they can easily die from temps that are too cold while they are being shipped.

Scot

just to twist things up a bit ive recieve everything from nepenthes, cephs, pings, even helis all winter long with temps below zero......none have died. But then again i have a post office box so it was never left outside at a mail box. Just my experience.

The problem is that the post office often leave boxes on the trucks at night = dead plants. I will be mailing yours eou, and marking the box 'do not freeze' and then we will hope.

I highly doubt the post office will take any notice of "do not freeze" written on the package! ;)
they arent going to give any special treatment for a package marked that way..it will just be ignored.

only option: just wait until temps are above freezing day and night, shouldn't be too much longer.

Scot

a "ship-at-your-own-risk" policy should have been implemented. if the shipper feels that the weather is not favorable and the receiver INSISTS on receiving their package, the shipper should be free of the responsibility of the plants status upon arrival. i see that as fair...what isnt fair is if the plants arrive dead, and the shipper needs to replace them, EVEN THOUGH THEY STRONGLY ADVISED NOT TO SHIP IN THE FIRST PLACE.... :p

likewise, if a shipper ships, even though the receiver states that their weather is highly unfavorable, it would be the shipper's responsibility to replace that plant....

that being said, if some sort of freak accident occurs, nobody is at fault, and hopefully a nice resolution by understanding parties could work it out.

So check this out..
it just so happens, I have been monitoring the temperatures of packages in the US mail lately! ;)
For work, I have been tracking the temps of photo paper placed in trucks and being shipped between Rochester, NY and Colorado..for the project, all we care about is the temp inside the truck..but the package, containing the temp sensor, is mailed back to me, so I also get the readings while the sensor was in the US mail..I pulled out just the data from when the package was in the mail, here is an example from a month ago:

1189275741_6SQL5-L.gif

That shows 4 days in the US mail.
scary..
each data point is 30 minutes apart.
the package went through four freeze-thaw cycles, some of them quite severe.
and an overall temp range between 75F and 9 below zero!

yeah..dont ship plants in the winter..

Scot

Back