What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three hermit crabs for adoption

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I hope it's OK to put this here, even though I'm not asking for any CP's in return. (Though I never can say "no" ;))

I have three medium-ish / large-ish hermit crabs that are getting a little too adventurous. All three have now managed to escape what I though was an escape-proof crabitat, and, well, maybe it's time to give them to a better home. If I can find someone to take them, I will be able to convert the tank into a LL terra.

I live in the SF Bay area. I would rather not ship these guys; hermit crabs don't take it very well. I had originally planned to put this in the BACPS forum, but, well, admit it. You guys are all here, and visit here more often. :-))

I would take them and have stuff ready for them but only if they were shipable :)

Note that these animals cannot be kept in a small container with decorative sand and left there for 6 months, these animals need large terrariums with a sustainable tropical environment.

I have a 55 gallon setup with 4 inches of wet playsand and 5 inches of Exo-Earth on the other side. I've got lots of extra shells and the crabs will always have access to fresh and saltwater. Currently, I have two Coenobita clypeatus and one Coenobita compressus.

I am in your area and willing to adopt them. :)

I haven't been active on the BACPS forum in forever. :p

EDIT: I'm also on the Hermit Crab Association Forum (HCA), but I'm not active any more. Thanks in part to Limeslide's guidance, the 'tat was set up well. :)

Last edited:
And the winner is....

CLUE!

Congratulations! PM me for you winning details.

Limeslide, you are absolutely correct. They also need more than one or two companions, and iodine-supplemented salt water along-side their fresh to molt correctly. these three are currently in a 55-gallon terra, with quite LL-ish conditions.

Katie: Pm'd.... waiting for response.

They are shippable lol. How do you think everything gets to the pet stores. They even ship dogs...

Actually dogs usually are supplied by local breeders. Live animals can be shipped, but they need special shipping. I have ordered fish and crabs through the mail. They need special package enclosures, heating or cooling packs, water and usually shipped over night...my better this way.

Oh, I know they're shippable, but I don't have the necessary supplies to make it a comfortable ship. Perhaps a cool, wet paper towel, and wad it around the crab-- that's how I got my tarantula.

Hey, Clue! I PM'd back. ;)

Back