What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 packs of vallisnerifolia seed

I purchased seed and I was sent extra P. vallisnerifolia seed. Two packs are spoken for, but I have three more. The deal with the seed is I would like to give them to experienced growers and if I am not successful and you are you send me one plant....always have a back up plan.
I will choose three from the reponses and will send the seeds, no SASE necessary. Answer here or PM.

I would be honored for the chance to grow these from seed, and will gladly send you more than one if need be. ;)

I want one!

I would be please if you gave me a pack.

LOL! For a second there, I thought it was an RL8675309 offering. I'm interested as well.

suite

it is very easy to grow this species from seeds , if you have good condition .

it is a temperate calcareous plant with a long leaves( some time 20cm like here in my home)

like almost all temperate they make hibernaculae in winter , then for them the dormancy and the outdoor condition are necessary.

jeff

LOL!!! This species is germinating...IN THE SEED PACKET. Great one, copper. The GA3 really worked!!!

I'm going to plant it now :-))

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Ooo. I'm going to love this Spanish species!!! I hope they grow despite my initial negligence...I just sowed them on my cat litter based medium. I mixed it up for p. gigantea you know.

THANKS!!!

No germination from mine yet.

it is very easy to grow this species from seeds , if you have good condition .

I think it is easy to grow most species from seeds, if you have good growing conditions - that match exactly for this species.
And it's very hard to grow all the other species that have special needs for substrate, climate or other cultivation conditions.

it is a temperate calcareous plant with a long leaves( some time 20cm like here in my home)

like almost all temperate they make hibernaculae in winter , then for them the dormancy and the outdoor condition are necessary.

I started with a portion of winter gemmae with P. vallisneriifolia in March 2009, and for me this species is very hard to keep alive.

Plants kept in pure peat will die on the long run, so calcareous substrate is essential, as Jeff already said. After I took notice of that, I put them in a mix of peat, vermiculite, limestone, sand and a bit of clay. After two years I had one plant flowering and most others have died.

And the snails are always climbing and sitting on the substrate, I think they are searching the limestone that is not available in my garden otherwise to build their snail shells.

For me, the temperate Pinguicula that can grow in pure peat, are much easier to keep than P. vallisneriifolia which needs a calcareous substrate. I don't know whether it is substrate or climate (or the snails) that they are not growing well for me. This species is shortly before becoming extinct under my cultivation conditions. I'd not call them "easy" to cultivate.

Geeze....no surprise I can't grow them then I guess.....I used peat/sand/vermiculite topped with LFS.....then when I heard they were calcerous, I sprinkles crushed oystershell dust on the moss and watered it in...prolly too late now though.....:-(

Back