What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More seed!

From what I've found of GA3, it's perfectly safe to play around with (I'm not talking about intentionally spraying it in your face.) I mean that it's probably much safer than a lot of the crap we have around the house. Just about EVERYTHING has a "known carcinogen" warning on it now. Originally extracted from rice sprouts, it's been extensively used and studied for decades with few ill effects. I bought some a couple of years ago and had fun spraying it on different stuff to see what happened (dandelions grow like eight feet tall.) I still have it, I should see if it still works...

All in all I just wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hmmm...yeah....the nights aren't gonna drop to 40F here unless they spend it in the fridge....not untill late fall and winter at least...so should I hold off on sowing them then?

Keep in mind that they are treated with GA3...which apparently negates the need for stratification of any kind.

The place I would be growing them this time of year would have 75F days and 65F nights....but in winter the temps would be 65F day and 48F nights.

The same occurs here. We don't get temps down to anywhere near 40F until late fall/early winter. The seed is happy to sit on the pot waiting for the cool nights to arrive. You might find that they germinate a little before the temps get that low and these plants will have a few weeks extra growth for the season.

Irrespective of the GA3, this species doesn't need stratification of any kind anyway. Mine are always sown at the start of the second month of summer.

That's been my experience with D. trinervia seed resown into the pots in the spring - the seed doesn't germinate until late fall to mid-winter. The area I'm growing them in rarely gets below the high 50sF during winter.

This year I kept enough seed for my own purposes that I can try various conditions. So far seed sown at the end of flowering season has germinated. Sown in fresh pots, same light, temperature and water levels (very wet, within a centimeter of the surface) as the mother plants. Drier pots have not germinated. 4-6 weeks for germination to occur. Seed in bagged containers in warm well-lighted, moist (typical germination) conditions have not germinated. The summers have been very mild the last couple years. The mother plants are still growing but have been displaying the subtle signs of getting ready for dormancy for over a month. They're usually well down the dormancy path by now. This weekend was warm enough that overt signs (browning leaves) are showing.

It's better to have the seedlings start growing in the late fall or early winter. Without well developed roots they probably won't survive dormancy

I have 6 different plants showing seedlings.

Back