What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More seed!

Another grower must have forgotten that he already sent me some of these seeds when I purchased others. I have packages of

D. trinervia Tweede Tol, RSA
South African, Peat/Sand 50/50 mix, Bright light warm and humid Never below 40 deg F

D. collinsiae Faryland
South African "same as above"

D. trinervia Blaines Kloof, RSA
South African "Same as Above"

D. trinervia large rosette (all three are different)

I will splitting the packages in two so I will pick two of the responders to receive them. This is for experienced growers. If anyone can offer a trade that would be great, if not, oh well. This is the same deal as the ping. If you get them to produce and I do not I get one and please share if you get enough to grow. This will make four growers germinating these so hopefully we will have some to share.

Hmmm...facinating species.....Ok, I'd like to try them if at all possible. :)

Ditto.. I'd also like to try them all.

What is so hard about them? I like in an area where SA species grow pretty well. I just haven't seen these species very often so I know nothing about them :(

All the seed is spoken for. Hopefully everyone will be successful and we will have plants to share in the future.

Amen sister!

Dang! That's what I get for going on vacation.

D. trinervia is a winter grower with a summer dry dormancy period. It's reputed to be the easiest of the winter growing South African species. Not having any other winter growing South Africans I couldn't say if it lives up to this reputation or not. For the long term health of these plants dry dormancy is required in summer. The seeds have a reputation of being difficult to germinate. A few people say they've treated them as any other South African Drosera like D. natalensis or D. aliciae. My results so far show the media should be very, very wet. However don't be surprised if it takes 4-6 months for seeds to germinate.

Andreas Fleischmann and Christian Dietz report a pink flowered form which was actively growing during the summer in constantly wet conditions. Whether or not these do not have/require dormancy is not known. My experience with the white flowered from Stormsvlei Kloof is the plants decline and will not flower if given insufficient dormancy.

D. trinervia is a winter grower with a summer dry dormancy period. It's reputed to be the easiest of the winter growing South African species. Not having any other winter growing South Africans I couldn't say if it lives up to this reputation or not. For the long term health of these plants dry dormancy is required in summer. The seeds have a reputation of being difficult to germinate. A few people say they've treated them as any other South African Drosera like D. natalensis or D. aliciae. My results so far show the media should be very, very wet. However don't be surprised if it takes 4-6 months for seeds to germinate.

Andreas Fleischmann and Christian Dietz report a pink flowered form which was actively growing during the summer in constantly wet conditions. Whether or not these do not have/require dormancy is not known. My experience with the white flowered from Stormsvlei Kloof is the plants decline and will not flower if given insufficient dormancy.

So hot dry summers and cooler, wet winters?

Basically. If you're growing tuberous Drosera you should have no problems with these.

Another grower must have forgotten that he already sent me some of these seeds when I purchased others.

They should be more careful in the future. :blush:

Yes, they should, or they may have been thank yous for buying so many seeds, the pings were.

I have tuberous dew seeds and stuff like D. alba but I'm waiting till late summer to sow them. Hope I have success!

Hmm my D.trinerva is still growing and it doesn't know that it can't withstand temps below 40 It was 28-32 * in my coldframe last winter

Yes, they should, or they may have been thank yous for buying so many seeds, the pings were.

I probably should have worded it more along the lines of- "I should be more careful in the future".

LOL, I see. Well I am sure that the forum will appreciate you kind mistake. Please feel free to make more of them with future buys.

LOL, I see. Well I am sure that the forum will appreciate you kind mistake. Please feel free to make more of them with future buys.

When people make errors like this I at least offer to send it back. Rubbing someone's nose in their misfortune like this isn't likely facilitate any amiable feelings for future transactions.

What are you talking about. I did not even know it was sean that sent them until he pointed it out! I was thinking that I purchased those from CV in Russia (who I have purchased many seed from) I am joking with Sean. Not a number you should not start a problem where there is not one. These were sent airmail and would have been costly to return. Sean I apologize if I did wrong by you, but I think that we know each other through the forum long enough that you would know I was joking. Also N.A.N. please leave it to the injured person to complain, that way we are sure that there is an injury.

No problems here, I was just surprised by the post- and the fact that I'd messed up. Nothing to get too worked up about. Glad that others get the chance to grow them.

Back