What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus seeds - fyi

All year long (& out-of-season for N. America), I see people posting, looking for Cephalotus seeds. I gave a head's-up in Big Bella's thread a few days ago & they are now available in the ICPS seedbank. They even made it outside the special seed-donor-only section and are available to all members.

These are fresh seeds just harvested from several of my HG cephs so they have some good genes behind them.

Ron, a fantastic effort! Depending upon my harvest goes in the coming weeks, I'll follow suit!

Yay. Thanks Ron and David for doing this :)

Thanks for the headsup on the seeds.

I have always been intrigued by the looks of cephs since I visited Charles Brewer 15 years or so ago and saw his grow room in the garage (could have been 20 years).

Back when I had a 12' x 24' greenhouse full of species orchids I tried growing one I bought as a mature plant in a 8" pot($$$$$) at an orchid show in D.C. Took me a little over 6 months to kill it.

Hopefully now that I have no greenhouse, am growing under lights, and only have cp's( most of them seedlings less than 3 months old) I can better attend to their individual special needs.

Just now ordered some seeds.

DaveA

those seed went really quick :) only 1 left people really snagged them up lol

those seed went really quick :) only 1 left people really snagged them up lol
Wow! They're gone. That was quick. (15 packets in a day)

I'm still collecting so there will be at least one more shipment ...

It's a shame that I couldn't get more seed with all those stalks.** Two stalks were attacked by aphids - they cratered one before I noticed and the 2nd I have saved by being super vigilant but it doesn't take many aphids to screw them up. Also had some other stalks abort with the 100+ temps we had a few weeks ago (I guess I'm lucky that the plants didn't croak). ???

** just did a quick calculation - I've harvested about 550 seeds so far (not all to the seedbank as I had to fulfill some other commitments 1st).

Cripes, I don't look at the forum for 48 hours and the opportunity is long gone :-(

Cripes, I don't look at the forum for 48 hours and the opportunity is long gone :-(
Watch the seedbank as I just mailed another bunch of seeds (~730). I suspect that there will be enough for many to get some this time around (as long as they don't wait too long).

My harvest is now 98% complete - so no more seeds from me for another year... I'm hopeful that a few of my other clones (Czech Giant & HG progeny) will flower next year so I can play around trying to cross them. :-O

Well, actually, you did not even have to look at the forums if you were an ICPS member and happened to check the seedbank that day.
And wouldn't this be a good time to join if you are not a member, knowing this good stuff Ron has shooting towards the seedbank?

:banana2:

Haha...I check every few hours, and I missed it :(
The seeds have been listed & are available (minus quite a few packs from what I sent in). I hope they grow well for everyone who gets some.

The seeds have been listed & are available (minus quite a few packs from what I sent in). I hope they grow well for everyone who gets some.
Hi,
I want your Ceph' seeds...
I love it..

thanks,

Finally all gone. Well done, Ron. This batch lasted a month!

Cheers,

Joe

Finally all gone. Well done, Ron. This batch lasted a month!
Thanks Joe,

It looks like there are still 6 packets left in the secret-handshake-required, seed-donor area (as well as some Nep seed & a bunch of others that aren't available in the more-public member area...).

Hopefully this was publicized enough that anyone who has been wanting some seed, got some.

As a test of germination, I planted some of the last straggler seeds from the fading stalks on Sept 27. In the past week, I've had 9 sprout.

While I know Ceph seeds can be a problem for some people, with all of the seeds that made it out this year - I'm curious what folks are seeing ..... :scratch:

I scored some of these... No signs of germination yet, still hopeful...

I think that I see a radical or two emerging from some follicles; thought it will be a bit longer for those I just removed from cold stratification on 27 November -- after ninety days . . .

14 germinations as of 12.09.11 (the ones on the left are already sending out their 1st pitcher)
Cephalotusgerminations120911circ.jpg

Last edited:
Yay for Cephies!! Congrats!!

I got a packet of these too and so far nothing. I stratified half for 8 weeks in the fridge and no strat on the others. I have them under light, soil is moist, inside ziplocks, temps between 65 night and 80 day. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Back