What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Av heli divisions concern

It was brought to my attention last night that one of my recent divions was being treated with fungicides. The grower was concnered about a white/grayish residue that would not wash off.
(An understandable concern I might add, and I am to blame for not foreseeing this issue)

Prior to shipment I soak the divisions in a very strong Trichoderma brew... when it dries it will leave a whitish/creme/gray residue on the pitchers... it can be rather heavy in appearance.

This will not be seen on new growth and is nothing to worry about.

I do this to give them a good headstart in their new home and is a practice I have used for years on all my helis.

Please, please do not start dumping powerful chemical fungicides on your new heli diviisions without consulting me.

Av

Last edited:
i was wondering about this too as i just started seeing it a week ago i believe? But thought nothing of it and wasnt worried as it didnt spread onto the other plants i have like other fungus or parasites. Glad to know i can just completely forget about it again lol

and you wont see it on new growth...

:)

I figured! Good thing that I knew you were so good about that!

yeah, ill start including this with future divisions...

mea culpa

I get a white fuzz on plants treated with the granular product. It wipes off easily. It leaves red bruises where the fuzz was. My plants have been free of this fuzz for a year or so when I finally got rid of it with a systemic fungicide. Since the product FAQ says not to use it on plants with an active infection I stopped using it on the prior infection. Since the plants were apparently free of infection after a year I thought I'd give it a shot again. Granular product was added to the media when I repotted or sprinkled on the surface of the pots. If this product is supposed to "consume" or out compete other fungi it doesn't seem to do a good job on the fuzz I have.

S. 'John's Autumnal Summer' - sprayed day before with systemic fungicide
IMGP1147.jpg

After wiping some of the fuzz with my finger
IMGP1148.jpg

Bruises left on S. 'Leah Wilkerson' tube, fuzz wiped off with paper towel (dry)
IMGP1149.jpg

S. 'Judith Hindle'
IMGP1151.jpg

IMGP1152.jpg

S. rubra ssp alabamensis before and after wiping portion with (dry) fingertip
IMGP1156.jpg

IMGP1157.jpg

Plants were checked for pests (e.g. mealy bugs roots checked too).

Come to think of it the first outbreak of this fuzz happened after I tried the flowable product back in 2008. The same fuzz developed on my Cephalotus after using the product. The person I split the product order with reported simialr negative effect on their Cephalotus as do other LACPS members.

Various fungicides I tried were not effective in controlling this stuff although sulfur (recommended by on of main Cephalotus growers in the LACPS) worked on the Cephalotus - probably because the plant is small and grown indoors. A system fungicide, Clearys' 3666 worked the first outbreak.

I guess I never paid that much attantion. And that is a shame because I pride myself on spotting detail. I just know the lil beast you sent me is putting out its 3rd new growth since recieving it. I need to get it more light but that is coming. :-D Growing like a weed I tell you!

Butch Thank you again kind sir!

Warren

What i am referring too doesn't look like a fuzz as much as a residue....

I cant really address your issue, knowing you I don't doubt it occurred whatsoever...
However, I can say that it has been something I have used nonstop for many years and believe it provides a great benefit to my plants. Since I started using it my success with helis and cephs has increased exponentially. Also, my need for chemical fungicides has dropped to zero over the last few years.

There will always be exceptions to the rule, as with any product.... watch your plants carefully for any signs of stress.

With my heli divisions, if you suspect a problem.... please come to me and show me before you start dumping chems.
I can spot the "residue" signature from a mile away.

Besides, I expect it to occur to some degree

Av

Last edited:
I think this is the same fuzz that killed all my bisquamata... Or maybe not.

Interesting. I have used both granular and flowable product from ampac biotech and did not see any issue yet. One of my pots where I grow Capensis Alba from seed has a coat of mold on it but id does not seem to affect the seedlings and the larder plant in it.

Also I added granular product to the pots with Utrics and they seem to be thriving (pots are 2mn old), a week ago all plants were treated with a strong solution of flowable product (again ampac biotech) and all seems well.

more likely not...trichoderma isnt something that is easily accessible for most growers...i only know of one or two sources that sell it. your fuzz was probably botrytis.

I checked today just to see if I had that white powder... and I do. And a new pitcher formed entirely in my care. Thanks so much Butch!

Back