What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fishing for feedback before posting..orchids

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Okay here's the deal. I have four large pots of orchids..2 of LC Trick orTtreat and 2 of SLC Jewel Box 'Scheherazade'.

All of these plants have been kicking around my collection for more years than I can remember. They are rough looking but not diseased..I visus test my collection on a regular basis. They spend the summer out side each year. Before bringing them in for the winter I plan, in the next few weeks to divide them and keep only one small divsion of each varity.

If there is any interest I will post pics of them and offer the divsions left for postage, probably three if not four of each varity. postage would be the cost of a medium sized flat rate USPS box.

Please let me know if I should even bother.

Although I dont have any orchids so I wouldnt have the experience to grow them, id be glad to take some to get experience and start growing orchids :)

Had an orchid decades ago, have not tried since. A while back I visited a grower who have a massive greenhouse, and asked what he charged for some of his smaller stock. The least expensive was over twenty bucks. Those I have seen at Home Depot, etc. are usually not properly cared for...you might find a cart full sitting in full sun. And at a reduced price. Good thing, as they are gonna die. But anyway, I would like a start of two to try again should you decide to do so. Thanks in advance.

PD

I would be interested in one of each. they sound interesting. And all orchids take a hit when dividing so no worries there if you say they look rough. That is how you get good. Make the rough look nice and pretty. I do think you should bother.

Wow you can actually virus test plants? How so, is it a kit or something and is it readily available?

Wow you can actually virus test plants? How so, is it a kit or something and is it readily available?

You can either send the tissue samples to a lab or buy the kit. The tests are for specific viruses common to orchids. Either way the cost is roughly $5.00 a plant. I rotate which ones I test, otherwise it would cost me roughly $300 a pop :lol:

On a regular basis my local orchid society does a pooled order of kits so we can get them at a "slight' discount.

all right then..when i do the dividing I will post. No worries about being orchid newbies. My first orchids were the Home Depot/lowes type. These mini-catts, as they are called are very forgiving. So start doing your research now..just google search on their names.

A great orchid primer is Ortho's all about orchids and can get on amazon for around 6 bucks. Great book. I highly recommend it.

I'd be interested in the Lc Trick or Treat if you're letting newbies try orchids!

Okay guys..once i know how many divsions of each I have i will be contacted those who responded by PM..then any left will go up on a new thread for others to jump on.
FYI, i have gotten this question by PM as well so I have included those who contacted my via PM in my list of interested parties.

Orchids have been divided

I have emailed those who expressed an interest earlier. final count is Jewel box 4, trick or treat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back