What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Wants some U. longifolia?!

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Alright folks - I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to offer another plant for giveaway, to give back to this community that has been so generous to me since I joined nearly a year ago. I did a VFT giveaway once, but that ended in disaster when 3 of the 5 plants I shipped arrived frozen solid! That's what I get for trying to ship plants via UPS in the dead of winter* ???

Up for grabs today is a nice-sized clump of U. longifolia. See the photo below:

6153939524_a43b1c6c16_b.jpg

I've been growing this stuff using the tray method alongside my sundews. I've never been able to get it to flower for me, although it has been growing quite aggressively ever since I got it. It expanded so much below the soil line that it damn near burst its plastic pot... which I took as a sign that it was time to divide it up and do a giveaway!

The giveaway will be first come, first serve. Just fill in your name below... you know the rules! The clumps are nearly identical in size, but I will ship the larger ones to folks in the order in which they respond.

All I ask for in return is $5.20 for shipping. Paypal would be easiest... just PM me for my details!

Enjoy!!!

*Note - I will NOT be using UPS this time! Shipping will be done via a good ol' Priority Mail flat rate box

Dont want at this time but I just gotta say... THIS FORUM IS SO GENEROUS! Cant wait till I can do a give away :D

No problem! It's a great feeling :) Most of the plants in my collection came from a few very generous members here; it's the least I can do to offer giveaways whenever my plants grow enough to take cuttings/pullings/divisions/etc.

U. longifolia

1.riceman
Thanks a bunch. Will pm you for PP info.

1.riceman
2.helilover

thanks

1. riceman
2. hellover
3. chuckpowell

Thanks.

1. riceman
2. hellover
3. chuckpowell
4. eciton

Thanks!!!

1. riceman
2. hellover
3. chuckpowell
4. eciton
5. ellisonk001

Thanks for your generosity!!!!

Oh dern it. :p

Good luck to all those won! :)

Yes! congrats to the winners........
and hat's off to The Fury for the very generous offer!

Thank you all for your interest! If you haven't yet, please PM me your address and I'll respond with my email address so you can paypal me the shipping cost (if you don't do paypal, I will gladly accept either a check or some other form of payment in kind ;))

For those of you that missed the offer - at the rate this stuff grows I'll have enough to do another Utric giveaway in just a few months!

you can bet I will be watching for it!:-O

Hello lucky Utric winners - I just exchanged this info in a PM with one of the benefactors of this giveaway, so I figured I'd share it with all of you for reference as you figure out how to introduce the plant to your collection:

The conditions I had these utrics in were more or less lowland conditions in my grow rack: usually between 78 and 95 during the day and 68 and 75 at night, depending on the weather outside, with the odd spike above and below that range here and there. Humidity is always above 55%; I try to keep it in the high 60s. I water using the tray method... Fill up to 1.5" deep, let evaporate, repeat.

For the most part I grow this plant about 6" below 4 T8 lights, and it's planted in what feels like peat/sand with more sand than peat... Maybe 60/40? But I took a plug of this stuff and put it in pure LFS in an undrained container and grew it sort of like an aquatic plant, completely flooding it often. That pot was closer to 10" below my lights. In both cases, the plant grew vigorously but never flowered.

If any of you are able to get this plant to flower, I would love to see a pic!

I have had it twice in my life growing very similar to what you described, but it flowered like crazy.
???

Joe

I have had it twice in my life growing very similar to what you described, but it flowered like crazy.
???

Joe

Well, it did produce a flower stalk once... but nothing budded on the end of it!! :headwall:

Alright - 4 of the 5 plants are packed up and ready to go. I'll ship those out tomorrow.

If you're one of the four who has exchanged PMs with me, you should have your plants by Saturday!

If you're the person who has not PMed me yet, I don't have your address so I can't ship your Utrics! Please respond by the end of this week or I'll have to give this plant to the next interested party. Unfortunately I've already divided them so I need to ship them out sooner rather than later!

Thanks for playing, everyone. Please do post up once you receive your plant!

have you shipped them yet? do you think I will get it today?

Nice giveaway!
And just on a side note, I am a noob here myself, but I noticed a lot of impatient people lately. What's up with that?

:) people are just eager to expand their collections. I know I would be!!

@HeliLover - according to the receipt I got you should expect delivery tomorrow seeing as the package is only moving a mile or so! I'll PM you your tracking number shortly.

@ gill za
Im not being impatient, why are you assuming that? Yesterday he said he would be shipping today so I was asking him if that was still the plan. I'm asking him if it might come today because we both live in the same part of brooklyn so the shipping probably wouldnt take more than 2 hours to get to me. Next time please dont rush to conclusions, I wouldnt mind if it takes him a month, im just grateful that he is doing an awesome giveaway.

Back