What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginners oriented giveaway

the plants have arrived and have been potted, thanks again. I was wondering if you could shed some light on the dews. I have never grown them before, and was hoping you could tell me what your growing conditions were like, and shed some light on dormancy for dews. thanks again.

These dews are easy. Keep in above 75F in 4" pots with 1:1 peat:sand (mesh#20 or less) or peat : perlite (not my favorite) 5" inches or so away from lights. Although to acclimate them keep them a bit further for a week or so. Place the pots in a tray with water so that the level will be about or slightly less. Once water dries out refill again. Top water on occasion and dump the water right after to avoid salt buildup. For D. capensis and spatulata no dormancy is needed. They like it warm but don't go above 85F if you can help it.

Also in addition, as I have mentioned in the OP both plants were sharing the pots with U. sandersonii and each sundew (capensis especially) contained a chunk of soil with utric leaves. If you missed it look closely onto the soil:

Notice white fine roots amongst the brown mess:
20111118_012s.jpg

Two types of leaves, broader and thinner leaves:
20111118_010s.jpg

Green strands near the tip of the tweezers:
20111118_008s.jpg

All that is U. sandersonii and each package has it. If you mixed the soil and planted the plants burying the utric, don't worry it will emerge sooner or later. If you still have access to it plant it into a separate pot with peat:sand 1:1 mix and keep it wetter than sundews.

PS: This site: http://www.growsundews.com/ has plenty of the information to get you going :)

Last edited:
As far as I have seen there are only two cultivars of sandersonii in circulation, typical and 'blue' flower. The one I have is typical.
)

Turns out of of my plugs of u. sandersonii that I thought was quite unusual... had a small clump of stylidium debile in in. Hence the confusion :]

Turns out of of my plugs of u. sandersonii that I thought was quite unusual... had a small clump of stylidium debile in in. Hence the confusion :]

In your package I have separated a clump of sandersonii from the rest of the plants it grew together with and wrapped it separately from the rest of the plants. So you will be able to identify it easily. The package is on its way :)

Good luck!

received the package and everything looks great! thanks so much :]

Gill za any beginner orienteditems still available? Don't no if your interested but I have s..purpurea seeds I could trade you

Unfortunately this giveaway is closed. I have for now nothing else that I can give away.

Back