What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekend Darlingtonia Giveaway!

lizasaur

Charlatan
So, I've been on the receiving end of much private and public generosity, and it is alas time to start reciprocating!

Giveaway Terms:

1. US Only
2. Closes Sunday 11/13/11 at 9:00 PM (EST)
a) Winner be selected by the popular piece-of-paper-in-a-container-drawing method.
b) Plant will ship Monday morning before I go to school, unless weather requires otherwise.
c) Winner will be contacted by 9:30 PM EST, with my PayPal address. Shipping info and money must be sent by midnight so I can ship the plant on Monday morning as planned.
If you enter, please make a note to check your PMs before bed Sunday night to avoid any delays.
3. Must pay $5.00 for a small flat-rate box (via PayPal).
4. This plant is to be grown and cherished by the winner. Not flipped in a trade; not sold.
a) Keep the giving cycle going! The first division is to be given away- not sold or traded. Following divisions are free game :p
b) Please have an idea as to how to cultivate this. I don't mind if this is your first shot at Darlingtonia, but I don't want to send it off to its doom. Cause improper conditions are none too cherishing, ya know.
5. Comment in this post to enter. If you're feeling fun and wanna play along, do one of the following:
a) Tell me about something you're passionate about and why (not CPs, that's obvious :p).
b) Tell me a story, just a short one. One that's enthralling and captivating.
c) Write a lovely, descriptive metaphor of the cobra lily.

cobra.jpg

The cute little bug that one lucky person shall receive :3

I have a pot of Darlingtonia that I would put this one in if I were to win it. :D

IMG_7297.jpg

Along with growing carnivorous plants and growing plants in general, a huge passion of mine is art. I grew up always being around my older brother, who is 6 years older than me, and he was a great pencil and pen artist. When I was much younger, I would watch him draw for hours with a pen or pencil, and he'd never mess up once. I soon started trying to copy and trace his drawings when he wasn't home. I'd take them off his wall and put them back up when I was done, hoping not to get caught; I knew he cherished his drawings. I apparently wasn't doing a good enough job at hiding the fact that I was taking them down and tracing them, because my brother noticed indentations in his drawings from pushing the pencil too hard while tracing. To my surprise, he wasn't at all upset, but wondered why I didn't just ask for him to teach me. From then on, we would just spend hours drawing together. My brother would sit next to me, we each had our own paper and pencil, and he would draw a little bit, then ask me to draw what he'd just drawn; He'd draw a bit more, then I'd follow until the picture was complete. My drawings never came out as good as his, but it started helping me learn to observe things differently, outlines and shapes.. and suddenly I was able to create art of my own without the help of my brother. We continued to draw a lot together until he grew up and moved out. He doesn't draw anymore, but I still do! & I'll never forget why!

Man, now I miss my brother!

Not entering. Just giving thanks for the generosity ;)

Once upon a time, long ago in Wales, a small human boy child came upon a tiny man, one of the "Little People" caught in a trap. Being a kind hearted child, the boy carefully set the little man free. In his graditude the Little man bestowed upon the child a gift of great value, two corgi dogs.

Now you need to understand, among the "Little People" in Wales corgis are used as humankind use horses. They are ridden upon and are harnessed to wagons. This pair of corgis were the first corgis ever seen by the human world. They soon had a litter of puppies and before long the corgi dog of wales, the Welsh corgi had spread to live with humankind around the world.

But no gift from the "Little People" comes without a reminder of their origins. Every corgi to this day
carries with them the three traits that distinguish corgis from any of the other breeds of dog.
First are their "'saddle marks", those areas of darked fur across their withers and down their backs. Those are the marks worn into their fur from years of wearing the saddle and harness of the "Little People". The second is their trait if nipping at heels, be it livestock they are herding or just their human family. And third, even if it is only a mutter under their breath, no matter what, a corgi always has to have the last word.

Congrats on the giveaway!

Same here, I just wanted to brighten your day with a story.

thanks for being so generous ,but I think there to small to make the trip all the way x country

@Mickey: Actually they came to me even smaller so I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Last call guys. Tonight's the night!

Cobra lilies in Florida? What's your secret?

I'd love to give it a try, only messed with seeds many years ago.

Lets see.. something I am passionate about.. well, I like turtles because they're neat. :bigthumpup:

Back