What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Over With Pygmy Dews

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Putting them outside was ultimately an unsuccessful venture. Some didn't make it through the summer. For others the ID tags blanched out I didn't catch it. A light frost killed a bunch others. Therefore, I am looking for gemmae and a fresh start. I'd be happy to pay postage or work out trades. My strong suit is still Mexican pings, which fared much better outside that they've ever done.

I don't have anything to trade, but good luck getting your collection back together! Sorry about the losses.

Wow, Jim. I guess this means I better bring my pygmies inside..

pygmies are by far the most fickle things for me... but then again, i chose the rare stuff...and of course the rare stuff would be hard to grow. :rolleyes: luckily for me citrina and barbidgera are back on rebound...hopefully they'll grow in size and i'll be able to harvest gemmae from them. i'll keep you in mind when i do.

I should have a bunch of scorpiodes and nitidula x pulchella gemmae in a month or so. you're more than welcome to some if you want.

I should have some D roseana gemmae coming up soon. Ill keep you updated..

I was able to rescue gemmae of D. dichrosepala and what I think is D. omissa x pulchella. Something else has gemmae but I can't identify it.

Jim, for them to survive summer they need to be in 5 gallon pots with little watering. ;)

Five gallon?!?! It may work well, but I don't have that kind of room for my pygmies. I'm still learning my way around the pymies. I was thinking of trying mine outside this next summer, but maybe I'll just stick with lights.

The only pygmy I have is D. omissa 'pink'. It hadn't produced gemmae in my care yet. It is flowering like crazy though. If you'd like seeds I can send you some. They are seed grown.

The only pygmy I have is D. omissa 'pink'. It hadn't produced gemmae in my care yet. It is flowering like crazy though. If you'd like seeds I can send you some. They are seed grown.

Isn't that the one formerly known as D. erricksoniae? IIRC, that's one of few or maybe the only one that does produce viable seeds. Sure!

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I should have a bunch of scorpiodes and nitidula x pulchella gemmae in a month or so. you're more than welcome to some if you want.

That sounds great. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

I should have some D roseana gemmae coming up soon. Ill keep you updated..

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

pygmies are by far the most fickle things for me... but then again, i chose the rare stuff...and of course the rare stuff would be hard to grow. :rolleyes: luckily for me citrina and barbidgera are back on rebound...hopefully they'll grow in size and i'll be able to harvest gemmae from them. i'll keep you in mind when i do.

Thanks! How's the P. colimensis coming along?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Jim, for them to survive summer they need to be in 5 gallon pots with little watering. ;)

I know that some need the dry, hot summer period. Some aren't that picky. Still sorting out which one need what. Probably the easiest ones to keep going are the Lake Badgerup & Lake Carburup.

i think occidentalis and its hybrids do well in smaller pots and wetter conditions.

Jmscott,

I will wait until the plants finish flowering and will send you the stalks.

Jmscott,

I will wait until the plants finish flowering and will send you the stalks.

Merci beaucoups!

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Here's my plan:

003-7.jpg

Back