What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. laueana

Foxoftherose

Thread Reaper
I have a small P. laueana that seems to be slowly dying in my care. I would like to give it away to someone who thinks that they can provide a good environment for it to live in. If you decide to take me up on this offer, I will pay shipping so that if it dies, there will be no loss on your part.
I can't provide a picture right now, since the battery on the camera I normally use is dead, and my other camera is nearly impossible to use. The best way that I can describe it's condition is to say that the leaves are going limp and translucent.
I hope that someone here can coax this guy back to health.

Aww, don't give up! Try a quick media change.

I can take it of your hands and will be very thankful!. I grow several pings and they seem to like my conditions.

@gill_za It's yours! I have five other pinguicula species/hybrids in my care that are all flourishing, but laueana just doesn't seem to like the conditions I provide. PM me your address, and I'll have it sent out by the end of the week.

Thank you. If im able to save it. Ill propagate a pulling and send you back the motherplant :) Ok?

That would be wonderful.

Fox mine did the same thing. I've got 7 other mexicans/hybrids growing just fine but for whatever reason laueana didn't like the conditions. Hopefully it recovers!

My laueana is doing the same thing! Its been like 1cm across since march and it is finally growing slightly bigger leaves but i dont know if it is going to just stay the same size or sometinue increasing.. im just gonna leavei t be for now...

Guys, I moved my laueana to an african violet pot where it would be consistently moist but not wet and positioned it much closer to the lights, and it took off growing very quickly. This is also keeping in mind that I fertilized it about twice a month. They do need dormancy, too.

I have a small P. laueana that seems to be slowly dying in my care. I would like to give it away to someone who thinks that they can provide a good environment for it to live in. If you decide to take me up on this offer, I will pay shipping so that if it dies, there will be no loss on your part.
I can't provide a picture right now, since the battery on the camera I normally use is dead, and my other camera is nearly impossible to use. The best way that I can describe it's condition is to say that the leaves are going limp and translucent.
I hope that someone here can coax this guy back to health.

Hi there :)

I have received your plant today. Check your PM for details.
You are using peat based media right? It had perlite, peat and something that looks like fine sand.
The plant had no root system. In addition as soon as I submerged it in Trich solution bunch of gnats floated up (dead). I am sure you have seen this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128686
I am no expert but it looks like you have a similar issue with this plant: Roots roting away, and whatever new roots grow out are damaged by gnats.
If you have other plants growing in peat based mixes please consider changing to all inorganic soil such as: 3/2 perlite/vermiculite, 1/1/1 APS(or turface)/sand/perlite, or other complex mixes such the one described here: http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pinguicula_laueana.htm

incredibly interesting chart!
76775-oaxaca.gif

Hi there :)

I have received your plant today. Check your PM for details.
You are using peat based media right? It had perlite, peat and something that looks like fine sand.
The plant had no root system. In addition as soon as I submerged it in Trich solution bunch of gnats floated up (dead). I am sure you have seen this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128686
I am no expert but it looks like you have a similar issue with this plant: Roots roting away, and whatever new roots grow out are damaged by gnats.
If you have other plants growing in peat based mixes please consider changing to all inorganic soil such as: 3/2 perlite/vermiculite, 1/1/1 APS(or turface)/sand/perlite, or other complex mixes such the one described here: http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pinguicula_laueana.htm

Oh, wow. Looks like I'll be repotting this week, and trying to do something about the gnats! I've been wanting to do an all mineral media for a while with these guys, so this actually works out well. I'll be picking up the spray you talked about as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like the temperature doesn't vary much throughout the year. I wonder how much differential there is during the day. Mine, though it never flowers, does pretty well in a grow rack, by south-facing glass doors, going from winter leaf to summer leaf mode, responding to the change in photoperiod, mostly.

100_8749.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Oh, wow. Looks like I'll be repotting this week, and trying to do something about the gnats! I've been wanting to do an all mineral media for a while with these guys, so this actually works out well. I'll be picking up the spray you talked about as well. Thanks for the feedback!

If you decide to repot the plants, during the process of repotting just remove the old rotten leaves and roots carefully, leaving only healthy looking parts alive, you don't even need to use any spray if you do that I believe. Gnats (if there will be any remaining after repotting) will hate inorganic media and die off.

From my limited experience with pings I know that they are very sensitive to insecticides, fungicides and miticides and a wrong chemical will kill them it seems. Imidacloprid containing spray from Bayer seems to be compatible with them. Spinosad also looks ok, the only side-effect is that the leaves lost the dew (same with sundews btw) but the plants don't seem to be declining after spraying and sending new leaves out :)

If you decide to repot the plants, during the process of repotting just remove the old rotten leaves and roots carefully, leaving only healthy looking parts alive, you don't even need to use any spray if you do that I believe. Gnats (if there will be any remaining after repotting) will hate inorganic media and die off.

From my limited experience with pings I know that they are very sensitive to insecticides, fungicides and miticides and a wrong chemical will kill them it seems. Imidacloprid containing spray from Bayer seems to be compatible with them. Spinosad also looks ok, the only side-effect is that the leaves lost the dew (same with sundews btw) but the plants don't seem to be declining after spraying and sending new leaves out :)

Oh, it's not just the CPs that are infested with gnats. They're everywhere. I actually think they came from the soil that we potted our Pelargonium citronellum in. Now they're in all the rooms of our house.

Once you get your pings in an all mineral media, the gnats wont lay eggs and breed in their media so their roots will be safe. In all my ping pots, the top 1cm or so is bone dry, and is wet/moist below that.

Once there is no media for the gnats to breed in the pings will make great gnat catchers which you can place on your windowsills to catch the gnats around the house.

Oh, it's not just the CPs that are infested with gnats. They're everywhere. I actually think they came from the soil that we potted our Pelargonium citronellum in. Now they're in all the rooms of our house.

If the infestation is so bad maybe besides the spray (or instead) you should consider mosquito dunks? This is what was suggested to Brie with her gnats issue. The bacteria in the dunks when dissolved in water will infect the larvae of the gnats and kill them off. You will save some money this way too as the spray bottle does not hold that much volume .

Here is a little update:

The plant upon receipt (very bumpy USPS delivery):
20111209_006b.jpg

One week later after planting. Most foliage was removed. There is new growth in the center:
20111216_001s.jpg

20111216_002s.jpg

One more week after. The leaf from the previous picture unfolded but older leaf died:
20111224_001b.jpg

20111224_002b.jpg

Pics taken today
20120103_001s.jpg

20120103_002s.jpg

Basically, it is recovering. Switch from peat based media to all mineral media seems to be beneficial.

Last edited:
Back