What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lapidary rough, maybe a diamond or 2 ?

droseraguy

Illinois
I know there are a few of you out there that are into rocks and stuff hobby wise. The wife and I are leaning towards making jewelery out of what I can cut down and or make cabs with etc... stuff I can work with. Not too sure what direction to take although rattlers opal is pretty cool (nudge, nudge, say no more).

Anyone have some extra rough material laying around they would consider swapping for plants ? I'll be needing to get a saw and polishing wheel too. Heck we're gonna need it all and some advise too. Shoot me a pm.

I have some pet wood, from a few different places, dont know if yo would be interested

I used to collect minerals and rocks. I have lapis lazuli and lots of other things. I also have a meteorite you could polish. :D

i used to mine at the herkimer diamond mine every year when i was younger. Havent been since i left home to go to school 6 years ago but im sure my mom has buckets of them lying around somewere some nice ones i have a few enhydro diamonds and some nice clear ones in my colection, alot left in the stone as well in the pockets. ill give her a call if you are interested.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

i have in the past traded some to a member here but fo the life of me can not remember who ....sry.....

That would be me. ;) Great rocks have them in the rough on my counter. Good trade.

[/COLOR]i have in the past traded some to a member here but fo the life of me can not remember who ....sry.....[/QUOTE]

I can find some california jade and agate. Got a ton of obsidian to. Let me know if your intrested

Thanks guys that have pm'ed and responded here. I'm holding up the handwritten list of plants for trade now.... ya all see that ? Didn't think so, I'll try again tonight to get the list in and out. There should be something for eveyone of interest.

*stands up*

My screen name is Iron Tom, and I'm a rockaholic. I started amassing a pile of rocks earlier this year with the intent of collecting a big pile of rough while I'm still young. So that when I'm older I only have to go as far as the front yard to find anything ; )

Well, turns out the rocks are growing pretty fast. Nothing super colorful, but that just makes it easier when/if it does break. What I have the most of is some white pegmatite with fantastic contrasting black tourmaline running through it. Like this
Greenfront.jpg

Oh, some of it has emeralds. Those are pretty scarce in my collection though. From the Crabtree emerald mine.

Also have some interesting ore containing pyrite cubes from Glendon, NC. Of note for lapidary use is some of this black (slate?) host rock with the golden cubes in it. Great aesthetic and not super hard rock. Just have to be wary as pyrite is rather brittle.

There is also a small bag of not so gemmy garnets, from the Little Pine garnet mine, NC. They will take a polish, and some of them do come out looking pretty good.

Then there is the corundum bearing ore. I haven't even gotten around to cleaning it all up, but if your just getting started that may not be your cuppa tea. The corundum is from the Chunky Gal/Buck Creek area.

You can look up any of those names in the google machine and have a fair idea of what the rough is. Just look at those pictures, then imagine the gemmy parts as smaller and hazier ;)

[QUOTE

Then there is the corundum bearing ore. I haven't even gotten around to cleaning it all up, but if your just getting started that may not be your cuppa tea. The corundum is from the Chunky Gal/Buck Creek area.

You can look up any of those names in the google machine and have a fair idea of what the rough is. Just look at those pictures, then imagine the gemmy parts as smaller and hazier ;)[/QUOTE]

Is it sad that I just realized that corundum is an actual ore and not just found in the game, Skyrim... And I have been into rocks and minerals since I was just a little kid. Just picked up a new Sikhote Alin meteorite last night. Lol. I have access to a local rock and gem shop that currently has rough emerald chunks. I can stop by and check prices for you.

...I just realized that corundum is an actual ore and not just found in the game, Skyrim...

It's an easy mistake to make. The typical name for the stuff would be ruby and sapphire ;)

First off thanks for all the posts showing interest. If you haven't heard back from me please don't take that as lack of interest. Christmas has been hectic as per normal.
I went to pack up a couple things for someone here and upon closer inspection I discovered some minute moving red dots. With the help of my new 10x loupe I was able to clearly make out a host of spider mites giving me the finger.
So for the time being I'll have to put all the trades on hold. The first round of lifecycle extinction has just been carried out. After a couple more rounds I'll get back with you all. Thanks !

Back