What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

to those who are trading for cephs

Woke. Up this morning and noticed aphids on some of my plants. I'm forced to quaretine everything until I'm sure that the problem is taken care of. I apologize for the bad news but I will let you know asap when the problem has been cleared. I'm quarenting because I do not want to risk anyone elses collection. Again I apologize for the bad news and I hope that no1 has sent anything out yet but if you have I will send it back immideatly

Many apologies

}{@z3

I will respectfully withdraw from our trade deal. Having enough issues with mealys coming in on another trade. Darn things are migrating.. Thanks for the offer though. Hope you have a Merry (bug free) New Year.

hey man i dont know what you have for a setup but what i used was one of those no pest strips you hang, there good for a nice size room, i had it hanging in my little plastic greenhouse..... thing worked like awsome, give it a shot i got mine at a local hardware store, i would get a spray based insecticide as well just to be on the safe side soak the top layer of soil.

idk if cephs can handle it, but when i had aphids on my regia once I soaked it uder water for 11 days and it worked like a charm

idk if cephs can handle it, but when i had aphids on my regia once I soaked it uder water for 11 days and it worked like a charm

most definitely can't handle that..
When I got a regia with aphids I just dipped a Q-tip into peroxide and wiped them off. Not a single aphid today..

Let this be a friendly reminder to everyone who contemplates trading plant material: nobody wants to inherit your pest problems, so please be very sure (to the best of your ability) that nothing you are trading has any pests or diseases. It's only fair ;-)

Which brings me to my next point.. MAD PROPS to shaman for bringing the issue into the light prior to shipping.

Sterilizing all of my media has kept all pests away from anything I am growing besides that one time with the regia and the aphids are all long dead for about 10 months so Im happy. Keeps away fungus and slime too

I sterlalized everything b4 planting and once a month I got through and clean out the room but they must have arrived on a new plant I just recived and they have taken over. Never had a problem with pests b4 so there was no reason for pest management. Had a problem once with mites but I quaretined the 3 plants I had and sprayed them down with delouted dawn and it went away. Again I apologize for this inconvience on everyone. Hopefully within the next few weeks they will be safe enough to think about trading but by then they will be ready for the auction where I hope a few other seedling that are doing well will be entered. Thank you for everyones understanding and again I'm sorry for any trouble I may have caused

I have no idea why this popped in my head, probably read it somewhere, but is there a way to place the plants in a sealed bag or tank (aquarium) and carbon dioxide nuke them ? Plants love carbon dioxide, bugs (like us) need oxygen. Just wondering if anyone has heard of such a thing, this would be a good way to ensure bug free plants prior to shipping (or after receiving)

This sounds to easy, probably not a feasible way to do it.
Dan

There should be some sticky in here about shipping plants the before treatment and after treatment.
What i mean by this is that when i send plants i always place the plants in water all the way and check for any thing that might look threatening. I encourage also that when receiving the plants, the person should do the same for that day or for a certain period of time to avoid this from happening.
Ultimately, one should have some sort of miticide...etc no matter what to be secure nothing will invade your plants from a day or 2.

That's too bad,
Just let me know when they would be ready! :)
Good luck!

I just had to toss out some d. alicae from a giveaway because they were growing little white mold balls on them on little sticks.. I have rootcuttings though.

Let this be a friendly reminder to everyone who contemplates trading plant material: nobody wants to inherit your pest problems, so please be very sure (to the best of your ability) that nothing you are trading has any pests or diseases. It's only fair ;-)
Completely agree. However, in my experience, the supplier of pests is normally clueless about their existence.

Sterilizing all of my media has kept all pests away from anything I am growing besides that one time with the regia and the aphids are all long dead for about 10 months so Im happy.
Without wanting to sound rude, media sterilization will not impact most pest life cycles.

I have no idea why this popped in my head, probably read it somewhere, but is there a way to place the plants in a sealed bag or tank (aquarium) and carbon dioxide nuke them ? Plants love carbon dioxide, bugs (like us) need oxygen. Just wondering if anyone has heard of such a thing, this would be a good way to ensure bug free plants prior to shipping (or after receiving)

This sounds to easy, probably not a feasible way to do it.
Here's a thread on this topic. It works on some critters but not on others. It does have a lot of potential for use on rare plants or those which react poorly to peticides or plants in a herp environment.

What i mean by this is that when i send plants i always place the plants in water all the way and check for any thing that might look threatening. I encourage also that when receiving the plants, the person should do the same for that day or for a certain period of time to avoid this from happening.
Ultimately, one should have some sort of miticide...etc no matter what to be secure nothing will invade your plants from a day or 2.
Placing a plant in water will likely not show pests that are well attached (like scale) & prophylactic use of miticide is probably not a great idea as it may not have an impact on non-mite species (the reverse is true with mites & some pesticides). Also, most treatments should be repeated after a few weeks to eliminate new hatchlings.

Many growers with significant collections to protect will have some form of quarantine process that they use. From a risk/reward perspective, it's a no-brainer. While many pests are shared from inexperienced growers, I've received infected plants from growers with lots of experience & knowledge.

Kudos to hazedshaman for finding the critters before they were spread more widely.

Completely agree. However, in my experience, the supplier of pests is normally clueless about their existence.

Indeed. Just like the time I sent you a regia covered in aphids. I had no idea they were even there..

Back