What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperate orchid seeds for S.A.S.E.

I have several packs of Goodyera pubescens (Downy R)attlesnake Orchid and Cypripedium parviflorum pubescens ( Small Yellow Ladyslipper) seeds available for S.A.S.E. Since these seeds resemble dust, I didn't even try to count the seeds in each pack but, they're all roughly the same amount. Usual rules apply, apply your name to the list and copy below. Be sure to PM me for my address.

Good luck and enjoy the seeds.

Cypripedium parviflorum pubescens

Goodyera pubescens

1. dionae

Goodyera pubescens

1. dionae
2.riceman

Goodyera pubescens

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Removing my name. Let the experts have it, as it is difficult to germinate these seeds.

1. dionae

Goodyera pubescens

How old are these seeds, and how have they been stored? These don't exactly have a long shelf life.....

They were harvested in October, and stored cool and dry. I've heard from other temperate orchids growers that as long as the seeds are kept cool and dry they can remain viable for over 10 years. I know the Cyps are good for at least a year from growing seeds from a few years ago.

Are these poached? Cypripedium sp. are not exactly common.

If you grew these in cultivation I'd be very interested.

No, I grow them from cultivated plants that I bought from a local nursery and Vermont Ladyslipper Company years ago.

Theyre native to my state:D. The lady slippers, that is.

Oh cool! :-D

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you grow these. What sort of winter temps they can be exposed to, soil quality, etc.

ypripedium parviflorum pubescens
1. dionae
2. dexenthes

Goodyera pubescens

I grow them in bog conditions in a mix of regular soil, lfs, peat and pine bark with some pelletized lime thrown in. They need cold, freezing winters.

I grow them in bog conditions in a mix of regular soil, lfs, peat and pine bark with some pelletized lime thrown in. They need cold, freezing winters.

Cool! I'm doing some research it seems like they might do well growing outside here. I think they might actually be native to the area anyhow.

Just need to find some good information on seed germination. . .

Yeah, you might be at the southern limits of their range. Germination can be difficult.

1. dionae
2. dexenthes

Goodyera pubescens
1.B0B thank you

Next time if you remember, let me know when you get more
Cypripedium parviflorum pubescens,

& perhaps we can work up a trade of somthing....
nice plants/flowers, but yes... can be difficult.

Like a lot of things, but then what is a hobby for!?

I should have more next year. Last year, out of 14 flowers, only 1 produced a seed pod.

1. dionae
2. dexenthes

Goodyera pubescens
1.B0B thank you
2.riceman. thanks. I'll try out this one

Next time if you remember, let me know when you get more
Cypripedium parviflorum pubescens,

& perhaps we can work up a trade of somthing....
nice plants/flowers, but yes... can be difficult.

Like a lot of things, but then what is a hobby for!?

After researching germination techniques it seems like these are probably far more demanding than I have the means or time to care for.

I'm putting Growin Old in my spot, (if you'd like)

1. dionae
2. GrowinOld

Goodyera pubescens
1.B0B thank you
2.riceman. thanks. I'll try out this one

Wow,
Thanks Dex...
are you sure?

(Now you have me concerned if I can do it!)

Thanks very much...!

IF! I can get them going, I certainly owe you!

Thanks again...
(But indeed, now I am worried what I am in for!) Have had decent luck with most things,
Neps, Sarrs & such no problem... guess I will see!

Paul

Yeah I'm sure. I've not had very much success with seeds especially the more exotic they are.

I was reading up on this link:

http://culturesheet.org/_media/users:nanoj:nanoj31.pdf

Apparently the seeds require a symbiotic relationship with a fungus in order to start growing.

It's not impossible just more than I could probably accomplish.

Maybe someday I'll just buy a full grown plant from a nursery that might make more sense. :-D

Nice link find,
and indeed you have my respect and admiration.

Not everyone here would be respectful enough of a plant/life form,
to give up the opportunity to "get" one, in order to help it have the best chance of survival.
(Which now really puts the pressure on me!)

In another thread currently running here on TF, there is discussion about someone wanting a jellyfish (or more!) and how they don't even have a clue on how to raise & care for it. While plants are often looked at as slightly "lesser/lower" than animals, they indeed are living creatures, possessing the same life force (*) that imbues us with our own living consciousness here.
So I go from seeing that person's attitude, next to yours.... Difference is like night & day to me! (I wish it were for most people here, however.... well, at least most of the people here have an appreciation for these plants, unlike most of the people in this world.)

Anyway, I would think that if you are in AK, you would be able to gather some native soil from an appropriate location, and give the seed an even better chance than I!
(I saw a listing in that info for Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens flat-petalled form from Red Deer, Alberta... I know its not close, but you are closer to that location than I am! And I am sure similar orchids grow out your way somewhere. Even where I live that are a few places where similar orchids grow (if you can find them). (I realize I am being a bit "rudimentary" in presenting this outlook, however in my experience with nature, ...it is a lot more adaptive & tolerant than we often realize, and you sometimes don't know what's really possible until you try.) Even here, what one person claims "can't be done", another person discovers it can, or has even been doing for years!

Well, if I do get the seed, I will at least try to split it with you, if there is enough volume-wise to do so. (1/2 a speck of dust is a bit small to manipulate!) I figure it is better to have 2 opportunities to succeed than only one!
(Give it some thought....) I can't think of anyone more deserving to try... than someone who is actually concerned!
Otherwise I will do my best. (Just because I get other things to grow at times doesn't mean I don't also fail at it at times too.)
Again, nice find on the info, and thanks again for the opportunity.

Paul

Back