What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trifoliate orange fruits/seeds

Hi there,

Another non-cp trade for those who like oddities. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6u5LMN&usg=AFQjCNGjoG7zIjTe2Faic_-JAplPa8MTWQ

In my area most citrus trees are grafted to trifoliate orange. While driving around yesterday I spied a twisted knarled tree with small yellow fruits about seven feet tall. I stopped for a closer look and rung the bell and asked the fellow who lived there what it was. He said he was unsure and took one of the fruits to a local nursery where some genius told him it was a Mexican lime. Actually one tiny branch still was, the rest was all trifoliate orange from the rootstock. The fruit kind of reminds me of ugli fruit, a type of mandarin I believe. Upon closer examination it was clear from the leaves. Here are two I have one has not leafed out yet, the other was recently potted.
IMGP6232.jpg

IMGP6233.jpg

It has a cool growth habit and mean, nasty thorns, making for an ideal candidate for a living "ouch-goes-the burglar" or four-legged critter proof fence. I cut open one fruit and it had like ninteen seeds, seventeen of which looked viable. Here are the fruits.
IMGP6224.jpg

And a close up of one.
IMGP6226.jpg

The fruits are quite pithy, and full of bitter oils, so no good for eating, but I like the shape and foliage. If interested in a fruit, email to gnixon@satx.rr.com. I believe I have eight should there be interest.

Ciao!

Back