What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Hello All,

I would like to giveaway some pings. These species and perfect for those beginning to grow both Temperate-subtropical and Tropical Pinguicula. I have these plants growing in little clumps which will be divided into two (2) packages.
Below are the pics of offered plants:

P. primuliflora
grown in 1:1 Peat : Sand mix
DSC05683.jpg

P. moranensis x ehlersiae 'Wesser'
grown in 1:1:1 Turface : CoarseSand : Perlite mix
DSC05680.jpg

P. agnata x moctezumae 'Aphrodite'
grown in 1:1:1 Turface : CoarseSand : Perlite mix. Motherplant was generously given to me by Jimscott
DSC05678.jpg

P. gracilis x moctezumae
that is grown in 1:1:1 Turface : CoarseSand : Perlite mix. Plant was acquired from Mass
DSC05677.jpg

P. agnata 'Red Leaf'
also grown in 1:1:1 Turface : CoarseSand : Perlite mix. Plant also acquired from Mass
DSC05675.jpg

So, up for grabs are two a packages containing these five plants

In order to participate in this giveaway you need to follow the rules below:

0) This is USA only (sorry).

1) This giveaway is for beginners.
In my opinion a beginner is a person who recently started this hobby or who has been in it for about a year or so, but who is a participating member on TF (participating all over this forum not just in a giveaway section requesting or trading)

2) By participating in this giveaway you agree that if selected you will share these plants with other TF members in a similar fashion (not just in the chat or privately) within a year (more than enough time).

3) You will pay the postage for these plants which should be no more than $6.

4) This expires on Saturday 11:00pm Eastern Time.

Leave your name here and on Saturday I will "draw the names" similarly to the way I did in my previous giveaway.
Please note, I will remove the names of people who do not follow the rules from the list.

So let's begin.
Thank you for your interest!

Last edited:
nice give away gill , I have all those plants but the red leaf, who ever gets them will love them

Awesome giveaway and some very good looking Pinguicula!! If any new members have been thinking about growing butterworts, this would be a wonderful start.

Great giveaway, Gill!

wow. thanks for the offer.
please put my name in the hat!

I'll put my name in the hat! I've got the primulifora already, but my ping collection is severely lacking.

please put my name in the hat :) i ovly have pinguicula agnata :/ thanks :D

pleae consider me for your give away, i have a couple pings, but none of these. thanks for being so giving.

Great offfer gill could you put me down for a chance. Thanks a lot and gl to everyone who enters

So, someone just asked me in PM whether it is possible to have a pulling mature enough for a giveaway within a year. Yes, it is. I got the youngest of these pings in August last year:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127959 (i was bold enough to bluntly ask for some :) )

Here is how my Aphrodite looked in September growing in crappy perlite soil:
20110913_041b.jpg

and then later I got more plants from Mass.

The plants in the giveaway were grown from pullings that I started in November last year.
The leaf was pulled and placed on milled lfs:sand media and by December they were this:

20111201_022s.jpg

The long purpleish leave in the middle-left is P. 'Aphrodite'.

And 8 days later:
20111209_003s.jpg

To propagate the P. primuliflora you don't even have to take a pulling. Keep the soil wet and they will start propagating themselves. The small plants will start growing in the middle of the leaves. And both primuliflora that I'm sending are both flowering/mature size.
So yes. It is not only possible but quite easy. I assume that upon receipt the winner will let the plant acclimatize and grow for half a year or so and then will start a new colony.
Reasonable right?

Last edited:
Great giveaway for newbies thinking of trying their hand at pings, good job and great looking plants!

I'm interested, but I have a question. I am part of the WNY cp club, we meet regularly to discuss cps and learn about them. Its a small club that contains a few TF members, would it be acceptable to share leaf pullings there?

Thank you for the great giveaway!

--Paul

Gill, what is your soil recipe? I need to get my P. moranensis in a better mix.

I'm interested, but I have a question. I am part of the WNY cp club, we meet regularly to discuss cps and learn about them. Its a small club that contains a few TF members, would it be acceptable to share leaf pullings there?

Thank you for the great giveaway!

--Paul

@Paul,

Average size leaf produces on average 4+ strikes. This should be enough to share here and with friends. If you are the winner I'd like you to prioritize TF. What you do with the rest of the plantlets is of-course up to you.

I think overall point 2 of the rules should answer your question.

@dsrtfox1942
The soil in which these plants were grown was listed before each picture on the first page. Currently I am trying to substitute perlite with lava rock. Also relevant discussion here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1070705&postcount=24

please add

afrodisa

to the list of interested parties thanks

I'd like to put my name in the hat :). I already have the primuliflora, but I am lacking everything else offered. Thank you!

Please add me:).

@Paul,

Average size leaf produces on average 4+ strikes. This should be enough to share here and with friends. If you are the winner I'd like you to prioritize TF. What you do with the rest of the plantlets is of-course up to you.

I think overall point 2 of the rules should answer your question.

Thanks for the clarification, I'd like to be entered in the giveaway, thank you!!

add me, put my name in the hat please thx

Back