What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Seeds: D. slackii, D. adelae, D. regia, P. gigantea

The "Three Sister" Sundews are dichogamous meaning the pistils and stamens ripen at different times. Try the "yesterday's anthers on today's stigma" method.

Excellent advice. It's the same with VFTs to a degree, correct? I've noticed that the stigmas open later.

Hi SDCPs The ping lusitanicum would be nice just one thing though Im in New Zealand so Im not sure about sending seed to you? but I can if you want, hopefully you can get a few seeds yourself I was trying to encourage you with the pollinating the flowers.

You are correct, legally I cannot receive seeds since I do not have the required permits. I am surprised you knew there might be a problem! I will take your encouragement and NAN's advice to try and get some seed.

Thanks both!

And RAS, THANKS FOR THE DROSERA TIP! Now I can make broadleaf x alba capensis hybrids and try to get an alba broadleaf plant ;)

Ian, you could always import seed on my permit and I'll forward the seed to you.

It doesn't appear to be too difficult to send seed to New Zealand. Seeds that are considered "Basic" under the Biosecurity Classification can be sent without a Phytosanitary Certificate however they must be inspected on entry and tested to be free of weeds, pests, etc. at the importers expense. Drosera capensis is prohibited.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/regs/imports/plants/seeds

:LOL: Nan, I have to laugh at that. Really. Those New Zelanders are no dummies, Drosera Capensis...I'm just waiting for it to mutate and lose it's fear of nutrient rich soil. Drosera gone wrong! Taking over the lawn. Now that would be awesome...at least for a little while.

Thank you SO MUCH for your kind offer. I believe I'm old enough to get my own permit, which is something I should look in to! Last time I tried I couldn't meet the age requirements. It I get anything worked out before then in the way of importing seed, I'll contact you.

You've always been so kind to me. Thanks.

P.S. When is the next LACPs at the Huntington? The director of the conservatory owes me some p. gigantea clones (I'm counting on those ;) ). I'd like to come up and meet you again too :D

one of the dew pine seeds you sent me germinated ,so far, after less than 2 weeks

Its probably harder to send to NZ than it sounds because basically anything that's not on the approved list is not allowed in so far they havent added any species of drosera to the approved list apart from about 6 species the fact that capensis is specifically prohibited is because someone realsed plants into the wild (very stupid) and it became a weed at that location. f you get a permit I can send the adelae no problem if I still have some seed by then. nothing need to be sent in return In think tahts the safest way so I don't get into trouble here.

one of the dew pine seeds you sent me germinated ,so far, after less than 2 weeks

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! That's better than I'm doing right now :D

Its probably harder to send to NZ than it sounds because basically anything that's not on the approved list is not allowed in so far they havent added any species of drosera to the approved list apart from about 6 species the fact that capensis is specifically prohibited is because someone realsed plants into the wild (very stupid) and it became a weed at that location. f you get a permit I can send the adelae no problem if I still have some seed by then. nothing need to be sent in return In think tahts the safest way so I don't get into trouble here.

Friend,

Please don't feel obligated to send me anything. Thank you so much for the offer, though. I'm glad you got seed, I needed the encouragement!

Back