What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LF: Fresh, interesting HL pollen

My N. "Splendid Diana" aka splendiana has it's first flower spike! I am a windowsill nepenthes grower so I am interested in HL pollen. Let me know what you have and I'll decide which I'd like to use. It's not a huge spike, but I may be able to do a few crosses. We could all evenly split portions of the seeds. Here are pics:

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

It was given to me by Jeremiah Harris as N. Splendiana, which I believe is a female clone. I agree, the buds themselves look a little male-ish.

If they are female, I have pollen from a red ventricosa up for grabs.

I have the impression N. Splendiana is a grex, not a cultivar. Is that not correct?

This is something I am not clear on myself. This thread discusses the debated parentage of N. "Splendid Diana" and mentions that the reason it is known as splendiana is because the creators mistakenly latinized the name when they actually desired to reference Bruce Bednar's sister, Diana. Dave Evans mentions an article, the editors of which should have caught the mistaken naming. The fact there is an article makes me think they selected a clone as a cultivar, which is likely the common female clone I believe I have (Jeremiah told me the plant was female when he gave it to me).

On the other hand, the cross that produced N. "Splendid Diana" obviously produced male plants as well as mentioned here. I suppose I cannot rule out that I have a male plant from this cross, but since I was told the plant was female and that seems to be the "Splendid Diana" most common in cultivation, I assumed mine was a female.

What I am not clear on is whether "Splendid Diana" really is a cultivar or a grex. I don't know any of the rules determining what gets cultivar status and what is just a named cross. The ICPS does not list "Splendid Diana" as a registered cultivar on its website. Does this mean it is just a grex?

Last edited:
I've got a ventricosa X inermis that currently has most of its buds making pollen. I could try to send you the flowers in wax envelope if you want.

The fact there is an article makes me think they selected a clone as a cultivar, which is likely the common female clone I believe I have (Jeremiah told me the plant was female when he gave it to me).

Fair enough. If J said it was a female, that's good enough ;-)

As for the truth about N. Splendiana, I can't say for sure....I too am puzzled by the inconsistencies in the naming practices of hybrid Nepenthes.

Last call for pollen. The buds should begin opening any day now. Thanks, hcarlton for yours. Were you still interested, thez_yo? Anyone else want to join in?

You're welcome. Hope to hear about progress soon!

I wish I had some pollen but I would like to know... did it turn out to be female like proposed?

Back