What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gourd Seed Giveaway

I recently traded with Thagirion and was sent some extra seeds. Thanks, Thagirion! I don't have space for the plants in my garden and I'm not sure I have appropriate conditions either, so I thought I would offer them back to the community.

1 package luffa seeds
1 package birdhouse gourd seeds

I would like to send them to two different people to spread the love. They're up for grabs! First to claim each package gets them. Please PM me with your address.

Hm what are the growing conditions for these exactly? I have thought about growing some before but I want to make sure I can provide a good environment for them first.

Hm what are the growing conditions for these exactly? I have thought about growing some before but I want to make sure I can provide a good environment for them first.

well my sister has a massive gourd bush that seems to grow just fine and were in norther cali in zone hardiness 8 I think, and i think NC is a zone 7 or 8 aswell so they should grow fine for you outdoors
though I'm not sure about the specific conditions they like but I know they grow wild in mexico and in the southwest (USA) so im guessing they might like a hot summer and somewhat mild winter. but I know forsure they can handle frost and live
my sisters does atleast
hope this helps!

No prob, glad to you liked the trade. I have a thread in the Misc plants forum if anyone wants to see how big these guys get. They need full sun and lots of it. They're like Sarracenias in that sense with 8 hours being good. They can take heat but are heavy eaters needing nutrient rich soil and lots of water. They need that to make the big fruits they will produce. They can not handle frost and will die if it gets into the 30's. They require a long growing season too from 90-120 days depending on the variety. If you don't have room try growing them on a trellis as they'll be quite happy going up a wall or fence. They can grown on the ground too and spread like a pumpkin. If you can grow pumpkins you can grow gourds as gourds are easier. You can grow these up north if you have a shorter season but you'll have to start them indoors to get some extra time for those 120 day periods I'd say around March. Seeds keep very well for as long as 7 years if stored properly. They are slower to sprout than pumpkins because of the woody seed.

our plant never died from mild frost :p it never got cold enough to snow or anything, but a few days out of the winter wed have frozen ground in the morning, the plant didn't mind it atall, the gourds themselves will rot if it gets cold like this, but the plant is still fine to this day

Ah well if they store well than maybe I can try some this year and save the rest for next year!!

I am sending a PM.

Back