What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** LF: Live Red Sphagnum ***

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I got some live red sphagnum from my CP nursery and it like turned green... I don't even know how that's possible. What I'm looking for is pure red sphagnum. The kind I got that was red was mixed in with green stuff, it wasn't pure red I guess. That's why it reverted to green. Red or purple is fine, but preferably something bright that pops.

For trade, I have...
- Live 100%-green Sphagnum (no tan except underneath) -----> Only small amounts until my cultures grow out
- N. truncata Pasian Highlands (may become unavailable)

Thanks!! :)

it may not have enough light

it may not have enough light

Its in my greenhouse under 50% shade cloth... It was just that it dried out and when it came back it was green. :(

My live sphagnum goes through different color phases throughout the year. Right some is straw yellow some is all green and some is red, it's all the same sphagnum. Sometimes it's all red, all yellow or all green. As long as it's moist, humid and not over fertilized it will find it's happy place. Sphagnum doesn't like high temps in general so keep that in mind.

My live sphagnum goes through different color phases throughout the year. Right some is straw yellow some is all green and some is red, it's all the same sphagnum. Sometimes it's all red, all yellow or all green. As long as it's moist, humid and not over fertilized it will find it's happy place. Sphagnum doesn't like high temps in general so keep that in mind.

It's living with my highland Nepenthes and they're happy. The sphagnum I have is growing faster than weeds. Still looking for red sphagnum though. Mine is all green. :)

Im pretty sure your not going to find any red sphagnum unless its a rare variety from a special island or something. Keep in mind that sphagnum mass clones it self a LOT by making offshoots and spreading spores to most likely the same plant. Also, birds that pick up worms and stuff usually pick up sphag bits or spore bits too. If you ever run into a sphagnum bog, then the sphagnum species there most likely originated from one plant that was carried by a bird to make a nest...etc. Sphagnum isn't like your typical flowering plant and rarely produces spores since it can mass propagate so well. I have only seen one picture of sphagnum producing spores from a fellow TF member's GH. Wireman can help you out a lot more on this subject.

(If anyone has more experience with spores and sphagnum's genetic coding in please correct me if Im wrong)

Edit: It also depends on the type of conditions your sphagnum is in to make it be red. In the red type species I've seen online it seems that the only way to make them red is to simulate the exact conditions of where they were found in the location data. Sadly, most HL Nepenthes don't like these sunny boggy conditions (unless its a miranda..).

Last edited:
Well then just red sphagnum that stays red would work... :p

The Sphagnum that is referred to as "red" is a species that changes color according to climate conditions, light levels and other seasonal cues. If you were sold "red" Sphagnum, then you already have what you are looking for. Acquiring more "red" type will just exhibit the same behavior once it acclimates to your conditions.

The Sphagnum that is referred to as "red" is a species that changes color according to climate conditions, light levels and other seasonal cues. If you were sold "red" Sphagnum, then you already have what you are looking for. Acquiring more "red" type will just exhibit the same behavior once it acclimates to your conditions.

Ugh... Well how can I make it turn red then? ???

If anyone has some they think is pure red, let me know, still interested. :)

Like I and everyone is trying to tell you, it will be red again when the seasonal conditions permit (red color in often inspired by cool temps and bright lighting think of leaves changing color in the fall). Other "red" sphagnum will do the same color shift throughout the year when it's cooler and light is more intense the red will come back. Patience grasshopper!

If you get tired of waiting for the color to change, some red food coloring could help it along it's way...

Thanks guys! In Winter, the light levels are lower, but the temps are cooler. Maybe that will make it change? We'll see. :)

If anyone thinks they have a pure red strain, let me know! :)

If you get tired of waiting for the color to change, some red food coloring could help it along it's way...

Actually? I might try that...

I have a quart of red LFS here. It was red when I gathered it, and it's still red in it's no light bagged conditions.
Let's prove everyone right and do a trade for that truncata 'Pasian' of yours. ???

pH of the water that it is in can also have an effect. Sphagnum is know to acidify water by doing a proton exchange sort of deal to its thing. Higher the acidity often seems to equate to redder sphagnum..... Sort of the deal with anthocyanin pigments like you find in purple cabbage . add acid red add alkaline green

I have a quart of red LFS here. It was red when I gathered it, and it's still red in it's no light bagged conditions.
Let's prove everyone right and do a trade for that truncata 'Pasian' of yours. ???

By quart you mean a big kinda like this... Packed full?...

quart_size_ziplock_bag.jpg

If you can PM me pics, we may be able to work something out. And by prove everyone right, do you mean it will turn back to green? ???

pH of the water that it is in can also have an effect. Sphagnum is know to acidify water by doing a proton exchange sort of deal to its thing. Higher the acidity often seems to equate to redder sphagnum..... Sort of the deal with anthocyanin pigments like you find in purple cabbage . add acid red add alkaline green

Well I water with distilled... So that should be at 7.0 or so. I have also used coffee on these guys and I haven't seen any difference.

correct. That is a quart.. and yes, packed full.
I'll get some pics.

Be wary of introducing live sphagnum moss into your grow space, especially of those harvested in the wild or outdoors. Plenty of pests, unwanted insects, fungi, and pathogens that can attack your tropical plants, which have no adaption mechanism to help them cope. Would be smart to drown to get rid of most pests upon reception.

and yes, i learned the hard way....

Last edited:
I'll be sure to flood everything new that comes in. Thanks!

Should I flood for an hour at a time and dry it overnight, thrn flood again?

Back