What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Please read the entire post before posting.

Hello folks,

I am moving to Anchorage to continue my schooling and so my collection of Nepenthes must be downsized considerably. It was hard for me to choose which plants I would keep and which I would get rid of, but it's been done.

Important disclaimer:
Almost my entire collection has been infested by thrips this summer. I have treated all of my plants with very strong insecticide and I believe that I have wiped out almost all signs of thrip life in my plants. That being said, if you are interesting in these plants know that they have been infested with these foul insects and that they should be quarantined and observed for further signs of thrips. I would highly advise treating them with bug killer when or if you receive them. I realize that this is not a good deal, but I have done all I can to kill the thrips and all the plants have shown signs of healthy growth and no thrips since the treatment. I love all these plants and hope they can go to a knowledgeable, caring home. I will post next to each plant the observed amount of thrip infestation I saw on that plant using a 1-10 scale. Some of them hardly were effected at all, others nearly died because of it.

This giveaway will be limited to one plant per person. To obtain any of these plants simply post which one you want, BUT the actual requesting of plants should not start until 12:00 pm Tuesday Alaska Time the 14th and it will close by 11:59 pm Wednesday. That will be noon my time. At that point it is on a first post-first get basis. The first post to list the desired plant will get said plant. You can review the thread yourself and if you are the first one to have requested that plant I ask that you immediately PM your shipping details. I need to mail these plants as soon as possible and I need them all gone by Wednesday. If I am not able to give them all away, or you do not PM your shipping details in a timely manner I will just load them into someone else' box. USA only.

12:00 pm Alaska time is:

1:00 pm Pacific Time Zone

2:00 pm Mountain Time Zone

3:00 pm Central Time Zone

4:00 pm Eastern Time Zone

I am asking that you pay shipping vie paypal which will be $5 for most of them, and $10 for the one larger plant. All plants will be shipped bareroot.

The plants in question, all pictures taken today:

N. ventricosa x hamata (A) This plant was heavily infested (7.5/10), but has resumed normal growth.

DSCN7594.jpg

DSCN7595.jpg

N. ventricosa x hamata (B) This plant was infested. (6/10)

DSCN7591.jpg

DSCN7592.jpg

DSCN7593.jpg

N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) This plant was only ever lightly infested. (1/10)

DSCN7588.jpg

DSCN7589.jpg

DSCN7590.jpg

N. spectabilis x talangensis double growth point rooted cutting. This plant was moderately infested. (4/10)

DSCN7597.jpg

N. ventricosa x glandulifera This plant breaks my heart, I didn't think I'd ever get rid of it and it was making amazing pitchers before the infestation. This plant was the epicenter of the infestation. (10/10) I hope someone can take this plant.

DSCN7608.jpg

S. oreophila seedlings These plants were not in the terrarium and so were not part of the infestation. These are a special case, they are not first come-first get. Due to the endangered status of this species I ask that you only ask for these seedlings if you are true Sarracenia whiz and I will be the judge of that. I would keep these but I do not have faith in my mom's ability to care for them. They are over two years old (I think).

DSCN7610.jpg

Other plants that aren't pictured:

Utricularia reniformis (large form) clumps (2) the largest was infested but most of these leaves have been formed since after the treatment (3/10)

U. calycifida large clump. I never noticed any thrips on these.

U. tricolor Same as above

U. asplundii Same as above

Genlisea flexuosa I never noticed any thrips on these either, but you should still quarantine them to be safe.

One packet of D. capensis typical seeds ($1 shipping)

These are not the only plants I am getting rid of. If you see something on my growlist and are wondering if I'm taking it or not, PM me.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Sorry to see this, Dex, but I'm sure the plants will survive in the long run.

A little advise for those interested in these plants or for anyone who hasn't dealt with thrips before: when an infestation occurs, the damage to the plant can be pretty severe as thrips typically swarm the growth point. You will often first notice them by the protrusions left on the leaf from where the thrips have laid their eggs by piercing the cuticle layer with what is known as an ovipositor; then, if the infestation is bad enough, you will easily see them crawling around and trying to hide in crevices. This being said, treatment in my experience has been relatively pain-free by repotting and treating with the systemic pesticide, imidacloprid, although others have said spinosad or neem work well, also. Keep these plants away from your other plants for at least 8 weeks, so you can be sure the risk of infestation is unlikely.

Thanks Mato. Your advice is really good and needed for this thread.

I used Forbid F4 and it seemed to do a good job at killing them off.

Edit: Updated posting time so it will be noon my time instead of midnight. That should make it a lot easier for you folks.

Last edited:
i would love some S. oreophila seedlings i have great conditions for sarrs and have many

here is a old picture of some of my plants when I started growing sarrs I have many more in other bogs, that are all healthy and growing fast http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeymk/7184409186

I would be happy to give the oreos a home.

Oh man, those are some awesome plants you got there. If I didn't have all my other plants to worry and think about, I'd relieve you of one of them.

Good luck!

wow that is very generous of you....wish i could grow hamata's....all i have are LL so im out of luck there....also up to my elbows in sarr seedlings. hope all goes well for you and usually what goes around comes around....u should try to negoatiate just getting someone to keep those plants for you maybe give someone 2 to keep for you and send 1 back to you when you are established(i.e. giving them 1 of them for the time) as i understand they are expensive.

I'd love the vent x hamata (b) if its still available. Thanks either way!

Oops...missed the starting date. sorry.

wow that is very generous of you....wish i could grow hamata's....all i have are LL so im out of luck there....also up to my elbows in sarr seedlings. hope all goes well for you and usually what goes around comes around....u should try to negoatiate just getting someone to keep those plants for you maybe give someone 2 to keep for you and send 1 back to you when you are established(i.e. giving them 1 of them for the time) as i understand they are expensive.

Bobby - the clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) would probably do fine in LL temps. Also, a lot of these were given away to me as it is, so I cannot in good faith do anything than give them away in turn. This is the coming around of what came around, if that makes sense. Though I am definitely losing money, the truth is this hobby usually does that.

to be clear, you say that it starts at 12:01....so it doesnt start at noon but the minute after? if i wait an extra minute n lose out ill kick myself :p

Lol, no thanks for pointing that out. It starts at 12:00

so sorry that you have to give away the majority of your collection
I know this give away doesn't start til next week. i won't be anywhere near my computer. if you have any extra of your genlisea or Utrics I can give one or all a good home and will send them back to you when you finish your education

Im interested in some drosera Capensis seeds.
Pm me please

Hello. Would you happen to have a cutting of Nepenthes burbidgeae x edwardsiana or Nepenthes argentii? Long shot,but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I can compensate more if thats the case

If not Id like to put my name in for

N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae)

or

hamata (b)

If these are spoken for thanks for even offering these to the community and good luck with the move!

Thank you

Billy

Bah....my phone had said 4

N. ventricosa x hamata

N. ventricosa x hamata (B), please :)

my clock said 4:00 N. ventricosa x hamata

Hello. Would you happen to have a cutting of Nepenthes burbidgeae x edwardsiana or Nepenthes argentii? Long shot,but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I can compensate more if thats the case

If not Id like to put my name in for

or

hamata

If these are spoken for thanks for even offering these to the community and good luck with the move!

Thank you

Billy

Back