Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rare Sarracenia Pollen Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nep Lover View Post
    Actually you can sell citie sarrs if you have permits
    Good point, but just to be clear- if this is interstate shipping and/or commerce, CITES is not the issue and the fact that these are CITES appendix 1 species does not matter(In fact, all non-appendix 1 sarrs are protected under appendix 2). After all, you can buy a N. rajah online within the US and have it shipped to your house without permits. CITES is an international convention specifying how participating nations regulate international trade of rare and endangered species- we are talking about interstate trade here. The issue here is ESA and having a Fish and Game permit which requires the submission of a conservation plan, etc... I suppose I was assuming that Rob does not have Fish and Game permits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are allowed to GIFT and/or trade the protected Sarrs.. Just not sell or in any way benefit from them financially, is how I understood the law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an issue with Sarracenia, since they're native, but in the case of any non-native species one should not forget the far reaching implications of the Lacey Act when shipping plants interstate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Not an issue with Sarracenia, since they're native, but in the case of any non-native species one should not forget the far reaching implications of the Lacey Act when shipping plants interstate.
    Oops, sorry, post deleted. I thought you were talking about ESA/CITES.
    Last edited by utricularia; 05-06-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Chicken fried steak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    You are allowed to GIFT and/or trade the protected Sarrs.. Just not sell or in any way benefit from them financially, is how I understood the law.
    "You are allowed to GIFT"- agreed
    "and/or trade"- I am not so sure. In a trade- you have an exchange of value. I do not have the text in front of me and am not qualified to interpret the law, but I was advised by someone well versed in this stuff (works in conservation) that when shipping endangered sarracenias there is to be no personal material benefit. It seems to me that if you are bartering- you are really only a step or two removed from a sale.

Where the heck is NaN when we all need him? WARREN!!! HELP!! (j/k)

Again though, I could be wrong about the trading issue- personally, I don't think so- I have heard that from more than one well educated source.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12