What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rare Sarracenia Pollen Post

I'm looking for anything interesting... Sarracenia Blood Moon, Doreen's Collosus, or AS if im lucky!
I have some S. Autropurpurea, S. Dons Flava, S. Rosea, or S. Rubra Jonesii.
I would send out two cottons swabs full of pollen, wrapped in tin foil.

Thanks!
Rob

You have a Sarracenia rubra ssp. jonesii?
Also known just as Sarracenia jonesii?
If you do, I hate to tell you this, but CITES prohibits the trading, selling, and/or giving of any part of a Sarracenia jonesii (ex. plants, seeds, cuttings) outside of the state the vendor resides in. Thankfully, if any of TerraForums's members live in Oregon, you still can send them the pollen. It's unfortunate, but I didn't make the rules.

Last edited:
You have a Sarracenia rubra ssp. jonesii?
Also known just as Sarracenia jonesii?
If you do, I hate to tell you this, but CITES prohibits the trading, selling, and/or giving of any part of a Sarracenia jonesii (ex. plants, seeds, cuttings) outside of the state the vendor resides in. Thankfully, if any of TerraForums's members live in Oregon, you still can send them the pollen. It's unfortunate, but I didn't make the rules.

I am a little uncertain as to the ESA myself, but I believe shipping across state is allowed- Rob would not be permitted under the law to accept payment or compensastion of any kind (Including trading). If he wanted to send pollen out for free- I believe that is permissible.
Again, check the laws for yourself and verify- that has always been my understanding.

That said, I totally would have jumped on this swap as I did save some pollen but my sarrs are pretty much done being receptive to pollen. If you are interested in any other kind of trade- off the top of my head, pollen I have sitting in my fridge which I don't need right now includes S. leucophylla (two different plants), and S. x 'Adrian Slack', I might have some S. x 'Judith Hindle' and S. x 'Dana's Delight' but I do not recall for sure if I saved my extra.

Too bad the double flowers of Sarracenia leucophylla "Tarnok" are sterile and don't respond to pollen.

I have a good amount of S. rubra ssp gulfensis X S. minor var. okefenokeensis pollen available. All my other Sarrs have flowered already but if you have anything interesting you think would make a nice match for a seed split let me know ;) (pictures available on my growlist).

Too bad the double flowers of Sarracenia leucophylla "Tarnok" are sterile and don't respond to pollen.

He he, just for kicks I decided to try to pollinate my Tarnok this year. It is produces viable seed I am going to laugh.

I only read that their double flowers are inpollinatable.

Actually you can sell citie sarrs if you have permits, otherwise if you want a plant it would have to be gifted and the person gifting can not ask for anything in exchange or ask for the shipping to be reimbursed, this goes for the other parts of the plant as well(seed and pollin included), but yes if you dont have permits and you wish to sell the plant it would have to be bought with in the state of the seller but the person buying can cross state lines with it as long as all requirements are met

Actually you can sell citie sarrs if you have permits

Good point, but just to be clear- if this is interstate shipping and/or commerce, CITES is not the issue and the fact that these are CITES appendix 1 species does not matter(In fact, all non-appendix 1 sarrs are protected under appendix 2). After all, you can buy a N. rajah online within the US and have it shipped to your house without permits. CITES is an international convention specifying how participating nations regulate international trade of rare and endangered species- we are talking about interstate trade here. The issue here is ESA and having a Fish and Game permit which requires the submission of a conservation plan, etc... I suppose I was assuming that Rob does not have Fish and Game permits.

You are allowed to GIFT and/or trade the protected Sarrs.. Just not sell or in any way benefit from them financially, is how I understood the law.

Not an issue with Sarracenia, since they're native, but in the case of any non-native species one should not forget the far reaching implications of the Lacey Act when shipping plants interstate.

Not an issue with Sarracenia, since they're native, but in the case of any non-native species one should not forget the far reaching implications of the Lacey Act when shipping plants interstate.

Oops, sorry, post deleted. I thought you were talking about ESA/CITES.

Last edited:
You are allowed to GIFT and/or trade the protected Sarrs.. Just not sell or in any way benefit from them financially, is how I understood the law.

"You are allowed to GIFT"- agreed
"and/or trade"- I am not so sure. In a trade- you have an exchange of value. I do not have the text in front of me and am not qualified to interpret the law, but I was advised by someone well versed in this stuff (works in conservation) that when shipping endangered sarracenias there is to be no personal material benefit. It seems to me that if you are bartering- you are really only a step or two removed from a sale.

Where the heck is NaN when we all need him? WARREN!!! HELP!! (j/k)

Again though, I could be wrong about the trading issue- personally, I don't think so- I have heard that from more than one well educated source.

Back