What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Hi everyone. I'm looking to expand my collection a bit. Here is a list of plants that I am looking for:

D. villosa
D. x corinthiaca
D. regia 'Big Easy'
D. hilaris
D. schwackei
D. longiscapa
D. kaieteurensis
I'm also interested in any other hybrids and species that I do not have. No D. capensis please.

P. acuminata
P. colimensis
P. emarginata
P. filifolia (not much hope on this one, but worth a try)
P. hemiepiphytica
P. heterophylla
P. kondoi
P. pilosa
P. potosiensis
P. agnata "El Lobo"
P. "Guatemala"
P. gypsicola hybrids
P. "Seductora"
P. "Sierra Mazatecas"
I'm also interested in any other species and hybrids that I do not have.

N. veitchii x lowii
N. x Sabre
N. flava
N. 'Peter D'Amato'
N. x briggsiana
Only interested in what is listed.

U. jamesoniana
U. endresii
I'm also interested in any other species and hybrids that I do not have.

My growlist can be found HERE. It is fairly up to date. Send me some offers and we can try to get something worked out. Please note that I do not have extras of everything. USA only please.

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

Last edited:
Received. Thank you! Your inbox is full :).

No problem! Replied :).

Hello,

I have kaieteurensis and should have some of those pings. pm'ed

I'm guessing that you're looking for the real D. villosa & not D. villosa var ascendens (aka: D. ascendens). If so, be extremely vigilant as there are some plants being shared as D. villosa that are not the real species.

Thanks for clarifying that Ron. I am indeed looking for the real D. villosa. I figure it's a long shot ???.

Everyone that has PMed me, thank you. I have responded to everyone. If you haven't heard from me at least once so far, I'm sorry I didn't get your PM.

Thanks for clarifying that Ron. I am indeed looking for the real D. villosa. I figure it's a long shot ???.
This species is still shrouded in a bit of naming / nomenclature purgatory and needs to be officially separated from D. ascendens (imho). Even to my taxonomically-challenged abilities, the plant is morphologically distinct from D. ascendens and for me, was a real challenge to grow well for any period of time (unlike the multiple locations of D. ascendens which tended to grow quite easily for me). The naming issues create another layer of difficulty in locating the real plant and some people, even when alerted that their plants may be mis-labeled, choose to continue the confusion (sadly).

Best of luck with your quest.

Do all accepted taxonomical systems lump them together though? I noticed that wikipedia (standard disclaimer aside) seems to separate them out.
Of course, that does not help the matter of mislabeling...

Do all accepted taxonomical systems lump them together though? I noticed that wikipedia (standard disclaimer aside) seems to separate them out.
No clue. Jan Schlauer's CP database currently keeps them together.

No clue. Jan Schlauer's CP database currently keeps them together.

Yeah, I just glanced at his dichotomous key, I did not see mention of ascendens even as a ssp.

Read Saint-Hilaire's original descriptions of the species. He notes that D. ascendens is related to D. villosa but distinct. He notes the visual similarity of D. graminifolia to D. filiformis and the similarity of D. capensis and D. villosa (though quite distinct).

http://archive.org/stream/histoiredeplant00saingoog#page/n345/mode/1up (pg 286)

There must be good reason why they are currently lumped together, but then Saint-Hilaire had good reason to separate them too.

Back