What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need enough of LFS, perlite and peat moss to fill this for bog! ASAP

You can buy large bales of peat and bags of perlite at Home Depot. This is the best deal I have found on LFS.

ok thanks for the info Will do what does it cost just about to fill that pic above. Also does the perlite have to be unbleached or can it even come like that?

Peat, Perlite and sand are all you need for a bog. Those are items you can buy at any garden center.

ok thanks for the info Will do what does it cost just about to fill that pic above. Also does the perlite have to be unbleached or can it even come like that?

What the heck is "unbleached" perlite???

whim grinder which order should the peat and sand be in?

im guessing sand at bottom

then peat and perlite on top?

mix it all up and throw it in, are you in a temperate location? if so i can get some sphagnum rubellum to throw on top if you're interested

I just picked up a 3.8 bale of peat from Home Depot for $27. Expanded it could fill at least two of those barrels. They were also selling large bags of perlite for $12.

does home depot have safe lfs and how much would i need for that barrel?

My walmart is selling bales of peat that would easily fill one or two of those for $9

You mix the ingredients together, not make layers.
Do NOT buy Miracle Gro products to use on CPs, as their products almost always contain fertilizer.

...Do NOT buy Miracle Gro products to use on CPs, as their products almost always contain fertilizer.

Precisely.

Be careful, though. Miracle-Gro isn't the only company that "enriches" (or poisons, depending on what you use the stuff for) its Sphagnum peat, Sphagnum moss, and perlite products. Make sure that nothing on the package suggests that the product contains fertilizer. I don't know if "organic" stuff would fit in with this, but my local Home Depot has some "organic" Sphagnum moss that I picked up for my Heliamphora (which it turns out I don't need).

sweet so organic it is with no fertilizer ....how much LFS would i need for that barrel?

the peat is not sold at my home depot its saying uh O

Its hard to tell from your original photo exactly how large those "half barrels" are..
I have seen plastic pots like that in a few different sizes..
but even assuming its large, one full-size bale of peat should do it..

I would get one bale of peat:
5510020_orig.jpg

Fill the bog right up with pure peat..
I dont like sand or perlite..never use it, IMO both are completely unnecessary..(and perlite is ugly)
I just use pure peat..works great!

Then get a bag of LFS:
34257151-260x260-0-0_Luster+Leaf+Luster+Leaf+No+1420+Long+Fiber+Sphagnu.jpg

and spread that around the top as a "top dressing"..in a layer about 1-inch thick..
the LFS keeps the rain from kicking up the peat and making a muddy mess..

Scot

I have one of those plastic half barrels as a water feature. Good choice!

Back