What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes gender identity crises

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
:lol: I was told that N. "Lady Pauline" is a male cultivar, and was shown photo evidence. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, because clones are ... well, clones! So now that I promised pollen in a couple directions, I find myself wanting pollen for myself instead. Ahh, what to do, eh?

Either the person you got it from had the incorrect information, or this is the first documented case of a Nepenthes switching gender (as far as I know). While the latter would be really cool, I think the former is more likely.

...Sorry, no pollen here though :( Good luck!

You probably just have N. talangensis x maxima and not the official cultivar. Someone along the line may have mistakenly thought that every plant of that breeding was 'Lady Pauline'.

Yeah, sounds like that. That's OK, it's still going to be a pretty plant, and gorgeous offspring, if I can get pollen in time. If not, well, there's a second flower coming up. There's hope.

I've actually seen this discussed on several occasions, If I recall correctly, a while back BE lost the original strain of 'Lady Pauline' and received a replacement TC strain of what they thought was the original clone from one of their vendors in Europe. Those plants got released to the public, and they look identical to the original 'Lady Pauline' but they were female. As far as I know, because of the error, the plants are still known as 'Lady Pauline', but they should be labeled as the female version.

So it's a Nepenthes that was having a gender crisis, that had another gender crisis that made it fit the name. But it should still be 'Lady Pauline'.

Gabriel stated it correctly: inadvertently, two clones were released out of tissue culture under the name N. 'Lady Pauline'; one male, one female. The female is the "unofficial" clone, but both are regarded as N. 'Lady Pauline' and are essentially indistinguishable. Having more than one genetically unique selection represent a "cultivar" is not breaking the rules as far as defining a cultivar is concerned. It is an aspect of cultivar naming I don't entirely agree with, but it is the rule as it currently stands.

Good, because I don't have a pencil handy to change the tag. :p

Good input, guys, thanks.

Having more than one genetically unique selection represent a "cultivar" is not breaking the rules as far as defining a cultivar is concerned.

I had no idea. That is pretty ridiculous and I don't agree with it either.

I know there was one other person on the forum here who had the same thing happen, the "Lady" turned out to actually be female. I believe it was Upwhiz.
If you need pollen fast, I have plenty of N. ventricosa "red" pollen, boring parent, but maybe some cool variation might arise....

I won't mind trying it on a couple flowers. Fire away.

My N. miranda is about to flower again (known male), but it will probably be at least 2 week until pollen development...

I have also heard mixed stories on whether or not the pollen is viable (not sterile). Some seem to say they have successfully used it in pollinating, other say it is sterile... anyone else have more input?

My N. miranda is about to flower again (known male), but it will probably be at least 2 week until pollen development...

I have also heard mixed stories on whether or not the pollen is viable (not sterile). Some seem to say they have successfully used it in pollinating, other say it is sterile... anyone else have more input?

There are different clones of N. Miranda in existence. The widely distributed clone from Deroose is believed to be a polyploid & is thus sterile.

I have N. maxima-dark x talangensis flowering way in the tippy top of my greenhouse....
Should start opening soon I think. If your flower is long, I may be able to get you some before it's done. If you wanna get something that looks similar. LOL
Andrew

maxima-dark+x+talangensis.jpg

Andrew, I'd love some pollen. If the timing doesn't work for the first inflorescence, I can pollinate a couple flowers on the second one. The first one is somewhat long, I have to keep moving it out of the lights.

Everyone that shares gets 50/50, naturally. I love to share.

Back