What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes pollen available

Hello all,
Just posting this out there to see who's interested, but I have a male N. 'Miranda' that is producing pollen right now up for grabs, and in about 2 weeks or so, give or take a few days, I will have a male N. x mixta that will also be flowering. If either one sounds appealing for a cross, let me know. I would much prefer trading within the US, due to trade restrictions.
Thanks,
~hcarlton

People keep saying Miranda is sterile. Has anyone successfully pollinated anything with Miranda pollen?

I know there are hybrids out there ( N. x "Oiso"), but I am assuming it depends on the clone. There was more than one male clone and I think at least one female clone that came from the original cross, and there have been remakes. The "sterile" male is the most commonly run across in garden stores and such, the big plants people always end up with. I got mine as a very small plant, so it may have the chance of being a more recent clone, but who knows.
It may also run along the lines of the N. x ventrata that's commonly sold, which is nearly sterile, but will still produce small amounts of viable seeds in crosses.

I see. I have a GIANT male that has 3 flower stalks on it and it was purchased at a garden center some months back so I am assuming mine is a clone of the more common, sterile variety.

Update: nearly all the N. 'Miranda' pollen has been collected and stored, ready to go, and I now have extra packets of N. x mixta pollen available as well. Any takers?

Back