What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone! I would love to begin doing some plant trades in order to benefit my workplace and obtain a more complete and interesting collection of CPs. Because my teaching greenhouses aren't specifically specialized in CPs, there are significant holes in our collection and many genera are unrepresented. Our budget is strictly for research and does not allow for plant acquisition, so I am going out on a limb and trying a creative approach.

Resultingly, I only have a limited amount of actual CPs for trades and those are in my growlist. Most of them are fairly common. However, our collection has a vast amount of other plants such as orchids, ferns, bromeliads, begonias, cycads, caudiforms, succulents (stapeliads, Aizoaceae, aloe family, agave family, euphorbs), cacti, gesneriads, aroids, aristolochias, and palms. I also have neat odds and ends like Mymecodia, Air potatos, and sensitive plants. If there is a specific plant you are interested in, I can't promise anything but I have hundreds of taxa that I have permission to use for trading. We have several Neps that are over 15 years old (ventricosa, maxima or x dyeriana, and a NOID). If the trade is especially enticing, I could probably swing a Welwitschia mirabilis seedling your way.

I have access to a propagation room and will be able to fully root plants for you if needed. I will also be able to accept cuttings (ex. Neps) or pullings (Pings, VFTs). Seeds, especially for VFTs and sundews, would also be great. I am also entirely willing to over-trade and send 2-for-1s in order to secure a good trade. I hope that some of the more established people here can take a bit of pity on me not having an incredible collection of CPs and realize that what I am trying to do is not out of self interest. Rather, it's to further the education about CPs and to introduce people of all ages (especially school kids) to them. Who knows--perhaps they'll take up the hobby! I can guarantee that any plants I receive will be given long lives, professional care 365 days of the year, and be used for a noble and important cause.

Also, I do not have Paypal and would prefer to trade to acquire plants instead of paying the shipping for them. I also want to be 100% sure of the legality of the plants you are trading, and I only want to entertain serious offers. I will have to be selective about how many trades I can do and I will prioritize those for multiple plants on the following list.

Ideally, here is what I am interested in:

Drosera
admirabilis
adelae
prolifera
dielsiana
madagascariensis
regia
venusta
natalensis
pygmies
binata multifida extrema
rotundifolia
intermedia
capillaris
anglica
S. American drosera
easy tuberous drosera like peltata

VFTs
Typical
Red leaved clones
Large trap clones (B52, Big Mouth, etc.)
Dentate or Sawtooth Clones
Vigorous Clones
Cupped trap clones

Darlingtonia

Heliamphora

Genlisea

Pinguicula

Utricularia with either large flowers or large bladders (i.e. easy to display to the public)

Nepenthes
virtually ANY, including hybrids, but especially
ampullaria
aristolochioides
albomarginata
truncata
rafflesiana
ramispina
lowii
jamban

Please take a look at my growlist and let me know if you can help. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this!

I would strongly suggest reaching out to other universities like UNC Charlotte, NC State University, and even places like the Atlanta Botanic Garden. UNC Charlotte has a great variety of CPs but they specialize in Sarracenia. NCSU has a few Nepenthes but I just gave them a ton of D. Venusta and Adelae plus they have a ton of Pinguicula primuliflora all propagated from one plant I gave them 3 years ago and a lot of D. Binata T form. And Atlanta Botanic Garden has pretty much everything. Do you work at the University or are you a student? Hope that all helps!

Is this Michael, Greg, or Kevin we're talking to? :)

I have a seed grown N. jamban I would consider trading for a piece of N. eymae, but I would like to know if what you have is the real eymae, or just the BE maxima that was distributed as eymae for years. The latter I am not interested in.

Paul

This is Kevin, and apparently I did not realize how much taxonomic controversy surrounded the plant I have. The N. eymae is apparently the maxima you are speaking of, meaning I have 2 separate maxima clones. The plant is male and pitchers are exactly like this photo http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Nepenthes_maxima_Sulawesi1.jpg. I received it from my friend, a grad student, whose original plant in CA is vining up a 10 foot trellis. He's on his honeymoon so I can't ask more about it, but I believe he got it either from D'Amato, Wistuba, or UC Davis.

Thanks for all the interest guys! Please be patient with me as I try to sort out who needs what, how many cuttings I can take from the same plant, etc.

The ICPS seedbank has a program for supply seeds for educational purposes. Contact information is on the ICPS website.

This is Kevin, and apparently I did not realize how much taxonomic controversy surrounded the plant I have. The N. eymae is apparently the maxima you are speaking of, meaning I have 2 separate maxima clones. The plant is male and pitchers are exactly like this photo http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Nepenthes_maxima_Sulawesi1.jpg. I received it from my friend, a grad student, whose original plant in CA is vining up a 10 foot trellis. He's on his honeymoon so I can't ask more about it, but I believe he got it either from D'Amato, Wistuba, or UC Davis.

Thanks for all the interest guys! Please be patient with me as I try to sort out who needs what, how many cuttings I can take from the same plant, etc.

Thanks Kevin.
If it turns out that both of your plants are N. maxima and NOT N. eymae, then I'm not interested in them, sorry. You didn't say whether or not you wanted the N. jamban I had to offer, or not.....

Paul

I've got a D.madagascariensis plant and some D.intermedia 'Cuba' seeds I could give you for an oreophila division.

Hi--I know this is an old thread and didn't want to revive it, but I did want to thank everyone for their input. I especially wanted to thank all of the people I have and will be trading with.

This is also to ask that this thread be closed because I feel that I have received enough material to complete the collection, and also that there are a lot of forthcoming projects that require my attention. I will be unable to honor additional commitments than what I've already agreed to, and those people know who they are.

My experience with the CP community on this forum and at the ICPS has been astounding, and I will say that you are all awesome, generous, and kind horticulturists. Thanks again for all of your help!!

Last edited:
Back