What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking Utricularia volubilis

Hi,

Is anyone out there growing this utric? Would like to obtain a plant or plantlet/starter portion. Trade for other aquatic utrics or dew seeds or, ???

Thanks!

I'd be really interested in this too. It seems like only European sites have it, but the seeds aren't that difficult to find. I've tried germinating the seeds before but I didn't keep them humid enough so nothing happened.

Several of the folks here say that with most utric seeds your chances for success are quite poor. That being said, given reasonably fresh seed at a price I could live with, I would be willing to try. One vendor I think wanted like seven bucks for ten seeds and five bucks to ship it. An overseas vendor wanted near that for an established plant, minus the phyto and shipping and...I guess I just keep hoping to source it here in the states with some luck someday. Spring's coming, maybe we'll get lucky and find a kindred soul who grows this like it was U. gibba.

I personally have not seen anyone that grows this species on this forum or in the U.S. in all my experience of posting or growing plants.

I am also interested in it.

I think I saw a fellow on a CPUK forum who had it, and some other who had gone out and taken pictures of it in its habit. Last night I looked at a list of one vendor for that and a few other things. Yikes! The asking prices had gone way up...and for now mostly only turions of a limited # of species available. Oh well.

I've been growing U. volubilis for over 10 years now. The plants are still in their original pot and substrate.

They were easy to grow from seed and now have leaves over 20cm long. Unfortunately I have never managed to flower it.

I've been growing U. volubilis for over 10 years now. The plants are still in their original pot and substrate.

They were easy to grow from seed and now have leaves over 20cm long. Unfortunately I have never managed to flower it.

You are so lucky that they are native to your country. Are you growing them submersed? For me, Utricularia volubilis is one of the utrics I would want to grow for the foliage more than the flowers, just because the long leaves look so beautiful underwater.

Yes, fully submerged in about 25cm of water in filtered light.

Back