What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to set up carnivorous display for education and conservation center

Hey guys/gals. I hope this is in the right place, I read through the rules and it seemed like the right spot. I work with a nature educational/conservation center in Maryland called Eco-Adventures. For the most part I work with the animals we have on site and also bring in raptors for certain programs. Thats me below. Anyway several years back I caught the carnivorous plant bug and really had a blast learning about the different forms and methods of entrapment. A few of the kids have spoken with me about VFT's but they only have some cursory facts that they've picked up here and there. When I try to explain the abundance of other carnivorous plants I quickly loose them as they really do have to be seen to appreciate them. My small collection (also seen below) was parted out long ago as I didn't have the time. I was hoping I could get some help from the members here. Our programs dont allow a huge budget and this is really my project that I'd like to set up for the kids. Would anyone be willing to donate some plants? If one or two people could provide a nice selection I'd be happy to cover the shipping cost. Since this is a trading post I realize I need to offer something in return. As I dont have any cp's of my own, how about photos of the smiling kids once its set up?

I need to try this on the Gem trading forum ;)

I have a whole bunch of drosera filiformis and i would be happy to spare a few. I live in Maryland as well, so adapting to your conditions should be easy for them.

Hi,

I live in Northern VA and have a number of easy to grow and reasonably kid-hardy CP that should be suitable. PM me, please?

Could you provide a general description of the conditions? Temperatures, humidity, light. I might have something to donate...

I have a whole bunch of drosera filiformis and i would be happy to spare a few. I live in Maryland as well, so adapting to your conditions should be easy for them.
Wonderful! Thanks everyone. I thought it might be a long shot asking but its for a good cause.

Hi,

I live in Northern VA and have a number of easy to grow and reasonably kid-hardy CP that should be suitable. PM me, please?
I will, I really appreciate it.

Could you provide a general description of the conditions? Temperatures, humidity, light. I might have something to donate...
Well, they could be in our animal room which is quite warm ~80f and high ambient humidity. Most likely though i'd prefer to keep them out in the other rooms where its probably closer to high 60's low 70's. At first I was thinking of having them in a tray on a bakers rack with 6500k T8 bulbs suspended about 12" above as thats how I've kept them in the past. Eventually it would be nice to move them into a bog like terrarium but again that would stay indoors.

Based on where you plan to keep them, you may want to ask for some hybrid Neps & easy-to-grow sundews. It seems that most of the plants offered are temperate & they do better in bright (ie: outside) light & require a winter/cold dormancy.

Based on where you plan to keep them, you may want to ask for some hybrid Neps & easy-to-grow sundews. It seems that most of the plants offered are temperate & they do better in bright (ie: outside) light & require a winter/cold dormancy.

yeah, that's a good point... and D. filiformis is temperate...

I have a Nepenthes Miranda with at least 6 growth points, i can offer you a cutting that if you would prefer tropical plants.

Would you accept an unrooted cutting or would you prefer it be rooted first?

yeah, that's a good point... and D. filiformis is temperate...

I have a Nepenthes Miranda with at least 6 growth points, i can offer you a cutting that if you would prefer tropical plants.

Would you accept an unrooted cutting or would you prefer it be rooted first?

I hadn't really thought of that. I'd really like to put together the most diverse range of traps possible so if providing a dormancy period comes along with temperate plants then I can provide that as needed. It would actually add to the discussion about the changes these plants go through.

As far as rooted or unrooted I'd say whichever would engage the children's attention quicker.

I have a bunch of Drosera capensis that I could send you. PM me if interested.

I have a couple med./large N. ventrata that you can have if you're interested. Along with N. 'Miranda' these are probably the most forgiving of the Neps, but still require the right conditions for producing pitchers...

I have a bunch of Drosera capensis that I could send you. PM me if interested.

Sending a PM, thanks!

I have a couple med./large N. ventrata that you can have if you're interested. Along with N. 'Miranda' these are probably the most forgiving of the Neps, but still require the right conditions for producing pitchers...

I really appreciate the offer but due to the fact that I'll only have a small area of a shelf to display them on I think I'll have to pass on any Nepenthes. Unless of course its something that will grow working traps in a small 4" pot. Thank you though

Well, they will probably be okay in a 4" pot for a while, but you'd probably end up having to prune back periodically...

IMG_20140502_140319228.jpg

strange, I thought I responded to this a few days ago. Thanks for the offer Sun but they do look a little tall for what I had in mind. I'm still not 100% sure where we'll be putting the plants so I may get back to you in the coming weeks if the offer is still available.

Some two year old Sarracenia seedlings, mixed pedigree?

strange, I thought I responded to this a few days ago. Thanks for the offer Sun but they do look a little tall for what I had in mind. I'm still not 100% sure where we'll be putting the plants so I may get back to you in the coming weeks if the offer is still available.

Okay, I'm going to give these ones away, but I know I have at least one more that you can have if you decide to take it on, just let me know.

Back