What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Trade Center

I thought it would be neat if people traded their extra plants but made it a surprise to the receiver. I have a few young ones of my own which should be ready later in the year for shipping, but by then I might forget about this idea. So here are the rules.

1. No revealing or hinting at what you are offering up for trade on here or in private message, that would ruin the fun!

2. No delicate state plants, they must either be viable seeds or well enough established that they have a good chance of surviving the shipping process; no one wants the surprise to be a dead plant!

3. Trade item must come with a label as to what it is and care instructions. Since people don't know what they are getting, a little growing media would probably be appreciated too.

4. Don't get all butt hurt if you get a plant you didn't want or already have, I wouldn't expect to get a nepenthes hamata through this game, it is more the fun of the mystery than anything else. Besides, maybe I am wrong and people will offer up rare stuff, who knows?

Curious to see if anyone will try this out.

I think the issue here would be the risk of receiving a plant you don't have the right climate/conditions to care for.

Agreed Paul. For the sake of the plants I'd want no parts of anything that absolutely requires a large temp drop at night. Ain't gonna happen during summers around here, and if I don't run the ac that low for myself and the human members of my household, I'm sure not going to do it for plants!

I like the concept but I'm not sure how you would be able to actually do it. Mystery intermit, non dormant, mid humidity trade? Then a night drop, high humidity round? Just some thoughts.

Sending me most Sarrs would likely doom them to a slow death. Just don't have the conditions for them. I have a long listing of CPs I just can not grow.

I have had similar thoughts. How about the same thing with sub-catagories? Say, This item or these items only ship regular post, so $3 instead of $8. Or mystery Orchoides utric, or non-cp terrestrials with orange flowers, or easy to grow____..., or insanely difficult ____________ or??

Yeah. Like: highland nepenthes, Sarracenia, dionaea, Easy subtropical dews, etc. I like the idea maybe I'll try it. (word to the wise, send plants that you are ok with trading for lets say a D. burmannii or I don't know, a Sarracenia flava. If its in the sarracenia sub category)

I know its sorta a hint but I'm thinking what if there's at least a list of growing conditions? or whom its suitable for? you just don't know what you'll get. that way if the people are in, they're in for it and wont complain later. just a thought :p

I know its sorta a hint but I'm thinking what if there's at least a list of growing conditions? or whom its suitable for? you just don't know what you'll get. that way if the people are in, they're in for it and wont complain later. just a thought :p

You know what, that would probably be for the best, sure.

Yeah, maybe if participants specify what type of CPs can grow in their conditions and then the person giving their plant away can know whom to send it to

or at least provide a grow list/want list so there would be an idea of what to send them.

or at least provide a grow list/want list so there would be an idea of what to send them.

Well that would kind of defeat the purpose because I think the point is to receive something you can care for and not necessarily something you want, although that would be nice too.

OK, I have got one. Yesterday, I visited the home of a gal in a plant trading group locally. She has a tree that is quite rare locally, but it readily produces seed she says are easy to germinate. Said to grow 18 to 20 feet tall, very cold hardy, fast grower, originally from Mexico. Only in cultivation outside of Mexico since the 1987-ish. If you scratch the wood it has a very sweet I hear cinnamon/vanilla like scent. The flowers are very fragrant as well. I read a story somewhere that two fellows had trimmed one of these trees and thrown the trimmings into the back of their vehicle and then begun in short order to accuse each other of wearing excessive amounts of cologne. Dunno about all that. I have 19 seeds, might be able to get more later. Lets say two lots of five seeds each, the usual thing with numbers in order. I have found info saying it is currently growing in Texas and California. Also said to have survived 8F with minimal damage without protection. One source said alkaline soil, pH 9.1, but I bet it would be a bit adaptable. If some interest, a drawing by RNG next Friday.

As in all such things, if you like the idea, you can participate, if it doesn't appeal to you, then don't participate. It's that simple. We don't all have to agree on whether or not it's a good idea.

That said, I think pearl diver has crafted a very well thought out approach.

Back