What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree seed offer under the auspices of the mystery trading thread by member request

OK, I have got one. Yesterday, I visited the home of a gal in a plant trading group locally. She has a tree that is quite rare locally, but it readily produces seed she says are easy to germinate. Said to grow 18 to 20 feet tall, very cold hardy, fast grower, originally from Mexico. Only in cultivation outside of Mexico since the 1987-ish. If you scratch the wood it has a very sweet I hear cinnamon/vanilla like scent. The flowers are very fragrant as well. I read a story somewhere that two fellows had trimmed one of these trees and thrown the trimmings into the back of their vehicle and then begun in short order to accuse each other of wearing excessive amounts of cologne. Dunno about all that. I have 19 seeds, might be able to get more later. Lets say two lots of five seeds each, the usual thing with numbers in order. I have found info saying it is currently growing in Texas and California. Also said to have survived 8F with minimal damage without protection. One source said alkaline soil, pH 9.1, but I bet it would be a bit adaptable. If some interest, a drawing by RNG next Friday.

#1 Subrosa- If I win we will see how suitable it is for bonsai, and just how cold hardy it is!

Last edited:
#1 Subrosa- If I win we will see how suitable it is for bonsai, and just how cold hardy it is!
#2 catrus TY!

#2 catrus TY
#3 Aerogrower thanks for the offer!

#2 catrus TY
#3 Aerogrower thanks for the offer!
#4 KNepenthe- Can't wait to know what it is! :D

Since the numbers capped at four, I think the easiest thing would be to give four seeds to everyone. The plant is called Ocotillo Sweetwood tree,

Ragna loves native plants and has a number of very special ones in her yard. This Arroyo Sweetwood (Myrospermum sousanum) tree is a deep south Texas and northern Mexico native tree first identified in 1982. Ragna grew it from a seed given to her 20 years ago by the Director of Horticulture at the San Antonio Zoo when she wrote asking the name of the graceful tree near the Aardvark pen.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z4KlPey-8...cGgGrl3A/s640/Arroyo+Sweetwood+house+view.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s0Edldb4p.../YObkY_HuwyY/s640/Arroyo+Sweetwoodblossom.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oco...v&sa=X&ei=biyAU8nrEcqHqgaRkoH4Bg&ved=0CGMQsAQ

Last edited:
Thanks for your generosity Pearldiver! Can I send you a SASE? Let me know.

And this is what happens when I don't check the board.....I miss stiff. Lol

Thanks for the very cool offer. If you're able to get a hold of a few more seeds at some point, I'd be interested!

Thanks! :) It seems like a wonderful tree!!

KNepenthe, you need to send my your mailing address.

Pearldiver.. Just an update.!! I have germination on at least two of the four Sweetwood tree seeds!! I suspect that the other two will also germinate, I planted all of them at different depths. Thanks again.

Outstanding!, Aerogrower. I hope they do well long term. Thanks for the update.

Well another update. My trees have survived the Michigan winter ( down in the basement under t5s) and are back outside. I ended up planting 4 seeds and have 3 survivors. They are about 10 -12 inches tall and look very nice. Thanks again!!

Back