What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In my ongoing effort to clean up as well as free up some space, I realized that I have two utric hybrids that have not been adequately shared.

- U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia
- U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis f. courte

These are crosses I've made in the past 2 years. The flowers for both are similar with some subtle variation. In my conditions, the nelumbifolia hybrid has been extremely floriforous (I basically have flowers all the time) & blooms are produced on extremely long stems (one was 43"). The reniformis hybrid blooms are carried on shorter stems & flower a few times per year. The leaves for both tend toward U. reniformis shape (with more variation seen in the reniformis hybrid).

I currently grow the nelumbifolia hybrid in live LFS as it hasn't done well for me in peat mixes (seeds from my 1st attempted cross all germinated then died in a peat mix). The reniformis hybrid plants are currently growing in an airy peat-based media (I've not done head-to-head media testing with them).

Based on Bob's photofinder (& my cursory forum observations), it would appear that these hybrids may be unique within the USA at this time. The nelumbifolia cross has been made by a few others (in Europe & Brazil) but I have yet to see evidence of the reniformis cross anywhere (which is somewhat surprising to me).

Qualifications for giveaway:
- experience successfully growing section Iperua/Orchidioides (at this stage, it doesn't seem to make sense for these to go to people still figuring out how to grow).
- willingness to periodically share divisions (freely or via fleabay, etc)
- willingness to periodically share pics & experiences (what works, what doesn't, etc)
- reimburse postage (both should fit in small flat rate box ~$6 iirc)
- attribution - basically share where you got them if asked & don't take credit for the cross
- USA only

If interested, add your TF handle to the standard sequential list (start one below). I'll PM those selected & close the offer once my supply has been adequately depleted.

U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia
Unephroxnelumbi122712RS.jpg

U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis
Unephroxreniformis092213RS.jpg

Thanks for playing :bigthumpup:

Great giveaway Ron! :banana2:

1. Bonnie - awesome giveaway! I have some of your other Utrics that have been passed around graciously by other TF members :)

2. STpaMan - I've been growing U. reniformis doing great, I have some U.longifolia to give away.

1. Bonnie - awesome giveaway! I have some of your other Utrics that have been passed around graciously by other TF members
2. STpaMan - I've been growing U. reniformis doing great, I have some U.longifolia to give away.
3. hcarlton-just starting with these kinds of Utrics, but so far doing very well with them. I'd love to try a hybrid or two, this is a great point to start!

1. Bonnie - awesome giveaway! I have some of your other Utrics that have been passed around graciously by other TF members
3. hcarlton-just starting with these kinds of Utrics, but so far doing very well with them. I'd love to try a hybrid or two, this is a great point to start!
4. NatchGreyes - I'd be happy to give away some others of this type, and these - once they grow out. From this section, I have a few of the more common plants, which are all doing well.

Beautiful flowers and photography... and that's not flattery! I did a quick search as to what was considered Iperua/Orchidioides

Utricularia section Orchidioides
Species Range Habit1
U. alpina2 Antilles, n South America T/E
U. asplundii2 Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela T/E
U. buntingiana2 n Venezuela E
U. campbelliana2 Venezuela, Guyana (& n Brazil?) E
U. cornigera Brazil T/EA
U. endresii2 Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador E
U. geminiloba2 Brazil T/L
U. humboldtii Venezuela, Guyana, n Brazil E/EA
U. jamesoniana2 Central America, Antilles, South America E
U. nelumbifolia Brazil E/EA
U. nephrophylla Brazil T/L/EA
U. praetermissa2 Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama T/E
U. quelchii2 Venezuela, Guyana, n Brazil T/E
U. reniformis Brazil T/EA
U. unifolia2 Central America, w South America T/E

My definition of success is being able to keep them going for at least one year and get them to flower. I've only had a U. alpina colony for more than a year, but they never flowered.

So were the winners of this already pm'ed?

So were the winners of this already pm'ed?
Four people were notified. I plan to send them divisions as soon as my time permits (I have been away for the past 5 days). Then I'll evaluate to see how many remain & whether I'm able to share more.

Back