What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooted Cephalotus Emu Point Giveaway

All you need to do to enter is to post a photo of something GREEN! and be able to follow the rules below. Winner will be determined by my 13 year old son later next week. We are paying the shipping so there is not cost to you.

The rules!

1. Continential US only.
2. You are willing to post your options on the rooting sponge used for the leaf pull either by PM or in this thread when planting and a few months out.(http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...l-methods-Lets-get-a-list-together?highlight=) If you are unable or unwilling todo this part DO NOT SIGN UP, <rant> people not following rules/requests on giveaways is getting old and has made me giveaway LESS than I was intending too this year. </rant>
3. You can not win this giveaway and the leaf pull giveaway (Feel free to sign up for both, the winners for this giveaway will be decided first)
4. You must be an active(ish) member of the forums, if you only post in giveaway threads, move on.
5. You must be willing to host a giveaway of your own later this year.
6. We will be shipping out this Ceph between 7-16 June, so you must be able to work around that and we will pick the shipping day :-D. No extra packing days or trips to the post office!

We have rooted very few Ceph leaves in these seed starting sponges so I have little idea what to expect when I remove the plug so there is some risk. The winner will receive one of the plugs and I would recommend just planting the plug in your usual Ceph mix, but I have little experience with these things so who knows! The reason I want feedback.

Ceph Emu Point - Fuzzy photo but you get the idea, its a small plant.

DSC_0367 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Why, no need to take a new pic, I present to you my avatar! Can't beat the classic VTF.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I think this guy qualifies as green ( though jealous of the racer photo)

I'll be hosting a few more giveaways anyway in the next few weeks.

Hey there!! I have used those black sponges for years and they work very well, I think they work better than rockwool, When your first root emerges,it can be seen very easily against the black sponge,Very easy to use ,just spray them with distilled water and you should be all set!!
Would love to get in on this offer but being a newbie,I am not allowed to post attachments???? Weird??

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

After thinking a bit, I think those sponges will work awesome,the roots will hardly be disturbed since they are embedded in the sponge.That should make a lot less stress on the roots during transplanting!

Hey there!! I have used those black sponges for years and they work very well, I think they work better than rockwool, When your first root emerges,it can be seen very easily against the black sponge,Very easy to use ,just spray them with distilled water and you should be all set!!
Would love to get in on this offer but being a newbie,I am not allowed to post attachments???? Weird??

You have to host your photos on one of the hosting services (Flickr, Photobucket, et al) and link to it.

Heres somthing green... not a plant... scary silhouette...

Last edited:
14130842708_dece52f4a4_o.jpg
[/url]DSCF0066 by dfleita1368, on Flickr[/IMG]
I think I'm being watched

Please tell me this isn't a Black Mamba?! O.O

Not entering, btw. Don't understand the first part about sponges and don't have anything to give away. Good luck all. :)

Last edited:
I have never used sponges like that, so I don't really have any informed commentary on it

Please tell me this isn't a Black Mamba?! O.O

No, just a Black Racer. I was looking out of my kitchen window and realized he was watching me. I took this picture through the window.

That sponge is very cool. I would think it will reduce the stress of transplanting.

Copycats doing Venus flytraps :p I posted one first

All I know is for Ceph's.,sponges seem to be the way to go.If I win those leaf pulls or whom ever does,go and pick up a bag of those sponges asap.Makes so much sense,no root disturbance!

Last edited:
Back