What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 'Paying It Forward'...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've been the recipient of Corey Bennett's aquatic giveaway and now it is my turn. I am offering the following:

D. binata sprouts

D. intermedia seeds

B. liniflora seeds

D. capensis 'Broad Leaf' seeds

D. indica seeds

The nature of this giveaway makes it targeted toward the newer plant growers, including:

-Shipping is on me
-The winner must offer forth a suitable giveaway within the next month; your offering is to be listed in your response below for consideration
-Offerings can be of any nature
-I will include as much insight and instruction as the winner wants or needs

Wouldn't newer plant growers like me be less likely to have the plants to have giveaways? I've already done 2 big giveaways, the remainder of my extra plants are just too young for shipping.

I have never tried cuttings in water like that. I may experiment on my D. capensis. I have some test tubes with good lids, and a rack, and a good place to store them. And distilled water.

I'd love some D. binata, but the only thing I have available right now is D. intermedia seeds. My normal Capensis is not showing signs of flowering anytime soon (but my Normal VFT's are.)

I would be happy to share my S. purpurea and S leucophylla 'Tarnok' seeds when they are ripe. I do not know how long that takes...

I would be happy to share my S. purpurea and S leucophylla 'Tarnok' seeds when they are ripe. I do not know how long that takes...

'Tarnok' is double petalled, meaning that a mutation caused the reproductive structures (stigma and anthers) to become petals and sepals. Since it doesn't have the reproductive structures, it cannot set seed.

There have been cases of successful pollination of 'Tarnok', as not always will all of the structures mutate.

I guess I learned something new today! That narrows down my seed offerings a bit, as it seems that even if they do ripen, they may not even be viable. Nobody seems to know for sure.

Eh, yeah, just peeked under the Tarnok skirts. There is literally nothing reproductive in there. One twisted structure which may or may not be an ovary. Most assuredly no Stigma, Style, or Anthers anywhere to be seen.

Eh, yeah, just peeked under the Tarnok skirts. There is literally nothing reproductive in there. One twisted structure which may or may not be an ovary. Most assuredly no Stigma, Style, or Anthers anywhere to be seen.

The stigmas usually on the outside peeking under her skirts won't help to locate them. use your finger any finger and run it from the inner part of the sepal towards the out edge. there is a small protrusion that is the stigma
I have a couple of seedlings from a give away at BACPS they survived the winter

The "petals" of 'Tarnok' are actually multiple deformed "umbrella" styles turn inside out. Think of multiple umbrella turned inside out and stacked in one another. The stigma should be on the "outer" surfaces. They can have multiple layers of sepals too.

Nicole posted a picture of her Tarnok flower on Facebook, recently.

Wasn't this a giveaway thread?

Just saying ..... :scratch:

Ha ha, topic drift :)

Wasn't this a giveaway thread?

Just saying ..... :scratch:

My whole life is represented by C-Squared! I do have one interested participant...

The Dragoness wins!

:) I'm surprised there was not more interest!

Some D. intermedia seeds would be greatly appreciated. I recently bought 3 plants, and they ended up being the wrong species. I like the spoon leaf look much more than the stick leafs. PS: I'm new to carnivorous plants and terrariums.

They are still alive. I have never done this before, so I'm kinda thrilled I haven't killed them.

When I get the other seeds to sprout, I'll post some pics.

binata.jpg

Back