What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some seed grown Sarrs with location data for trade

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
I have a whole lot of Sarracenia rubra subsp. gulfensis "Ancestral Form", Crawford Co., GA that I started from seed ~3 years ago for trade. Looking mostly for Nepenthes and Genlisea but feel free to offer anything else. Generous amounts available, US only please. :-O

14652441997_ae6a77c810_b.jpg

14835912211_4db3ae1a7b_b.jpg

From Barry Rice: "In the Flint River drainage of about six counties, including Taylor County, Georgia, and far from other Sarracenia rubra plants, there occurs what seems to be a strange variant Sarracenia rubra. I am not quite sure what to make of these things, but Don Schnell tentatively calls them Sarracenia rubra subsp. gulfensis. Because these occur upstream of the Gulf Coast Sarracenia rubra subsp. gulfensis, horticulturists and amateur naturalists call them names like Sarracenia rubra "ancestral form." Sometimes this is spelled "ancestral forme," the purpose of the added "e" at the end being entirely inexplicable and valueless, other than raising a desire in me to poke someone in the eye for such tedious affectation. In their 2011 work, McPherson & Schnell refer to the plant as (and I am not joking) "Sarracenia rubra 'Incompletely diagnosed taxon from Georgia and South Carolina' ". " Source

Last edited:
Any particular Neps you have interest in? This is one of the rubra forms I have yet to get, and I can probably trade any of the following:
N. 'Splendid Diana' x ventricosa "red"
N. rafflesiana "dark brown parent, Sajingan, W. Kalimantan"
N. mirabilis "echinostoma" Sajingan

Contact also initiated here. ;) Nice plants as always, Chris.

Back