What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking Genlisea

Recently my Genlisea flexulosa took a nosedive after stalling out, shrinking and eventually disappearing. I thought I had a multiple trade deal arranged over the last year or so, but that stalled out for unknown reasons. If anyone out there has mutiple plants for trade or one or two, let me know. I have Japanese Aldrovanda and various aquatic utrics - maybe a terrestrial or two. I have hispidula, any others would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Email would be the best way to contact me. Thanks! gnixon@satx.rr.com

Sounds like you and I had trades set up with the same person for these plants......

More than likely, two sends, multiple items, repeated assurances that stuff would be mailed out shortly. Then nothing.

Assuming this is an open/shut case of someone not following through on their end of the agreement, could you let us know who it was? I'm sure others don't want to conduct any trade with this person.

Hahaha no Mach, it's not you.

Thought about it. With my luck, I would then hear about some terrible tragedy behind it. And that once done, it can't be undone. I did a member search, and probably should do so again. But a cursory look did not find the person's user name. Perhaps no longer a member. Maybe a moderator or someone could make an inquiry. Repeated email several months ago went unanswered. Until recently I thought just one of those things. Seems now there are at least two of us.

Paul, the mods here (or at least the one I contacted) no longer feel that it's necessary to warn people of deadbeat traders. They're fine with us occasionally getting ripped off on here since the majority of them aren't even active members anymore.

After a few PM's between pearldiver and myself we have concluded that it was indeed the same person. It is a member going by the name "gr8oz". It's possible that this person is still active on here under a new name so keep your guard up people and spread the word about any deadbeats that we have lurking the threads here.

Last edited:
I've noticed that there are a number of mods that haven't been on here for years. I've sure more active members would love to help out. I for one would love to see a updated deadbeat list. Got a few names that come to mind.

Paul, the mods here (or at least the one I contacted) no longer feel that it's necessary to warn people of deadbeat traders. They're fine with us occasionally getting ripped off on here since the majority of them aren't even active members anymore.

This is a patently untrue statement. If there is a problem bring it to a Mod and it will be dealt with. If you feel that the Mod you went to is not helping you then go to a different Mod or the Admin. We are all rather easy to reach

After a few PM's between pearldiver and myself we have concluded that it was indeed the same person. It is a member going by the name "gr8oz". It's possible that this person is still active on here under a new name so keep your guard up people and spread the word about any deadbeats that we have lurking the threads here.

Years ago I had an issue with this same person, took him a year to complete a trade with me and he claimed he "just forgot". Since he made good on the trade I did not 'deadbeat' him. I will see what I can do from my end.

I for one would love to see a updated deadbeat list. Got a few names that come to mind.

Please let us Mods or the Admin know so we can look into them

Last edited:
This is a patently untrue statement. If there is a problem bring it to a Mod and it will be dealt with. If you feel that the Mod you went to is not helping you then go to a different Mod or the Admin. We are all rather easy to reach

Please let us Mods or the Admin know so we can look into them

I only had one real issue with a member on here and it was a while back. The Mod I spoke with just gave me the ol' brush off big time. I had to let other members know myself to be wary of this person. This person's activity here ceased after several people he was trying to trade with called him on it.

It is very true that many of the moderators on here are not very active members. It might be time for some new ones. I'm sure there are several stand up active members who wouldn't mind taking up the responsibility. Several names immediately come to mind.

Oh, and by the way .....even though this topic has been derailed, I've offered to send pearldiver a few Genlisea this week. His thread was not in vain.

I only had one real issue with a member on here and it was a while back. The Mod I spoke with just gave me the ol' brush off big time. I had to let other members know myself to be wary of this person. This person's activity here ceased after several people he was trying to trade with called him on it.

And while I can understand a level of frustration at that one Mod in particular, using that single case to make the broad, sweeping statement that all the Mods here just plain do not care if people get ripped off is perhaps going a bit too far. Yes?

If you are bothered with how one Mod handled a situation then, as I said:
If you feel that the Mod you went to is not helping you then go to a different Mod or the Admin.

The Mods are here to help/

It is very true that many of the moderators on here are not very active members. It might be time for some new ones. I'm sure there are several stand up active members who wouldn't mind taking up the responsibility. Several names immediately come to mind.

I do not deny that some of the Mods are inactive, heck, I myself fall a bit into that category. But just because I am not making daily posts does not mean I am totally ignoring the goings on here. I look into every report that comes my way. But we as Mods cannot do anything if people do not report it. Especially in a case like this

My comment was to intentionally light the proverbial fire under the *** of those Mods who are still paying attention. It relieves me to see that at least some of you are still awake.

I still however think it's time for some fresh blood with the Mods on here.

I still think an updated deadbeats list would be useful. There is an occasional individual who - either by intent or by carelessness - doesn't hold up their end of a trade agreement, and deserves to have a warning buoy assigned to them as a warning to others.

Last edited:
Agreed... I've been on the forums since 2004 and so many of the Mods that are listed are just gone. I have never had a trade go sour but I also think that the deadbeat list needs to be updated. This is a hobby for some of us but it is also one that we put a lot of hard work into and we don't need to be ripped off when it can be prevented.

Last edited:
My comment was to intentionally light the proverbial fire under the *** of those Mods who are still paying attention. It relieves me to see that at least some of you are still awake.

I still however think it's time for some fresh blood with the Mods on here.

Some of us could do with out your condescension. You had an issue with one Mod and so you chose to make a very public bash at all Mods. Airing out your personal grievances in such a public soapbox manner is not cool. Nor is it particularly tactful.

Also, I can tell you one person who is always "awake": The Admin. At any point along the way you could have sent him a PM with your concerns. And yet you chose not to. So, rather than lashing out at everyone else for failing to do something about a matter they were not aware of, maybe you could own up to your own failings in the matter.

I still think an updated deadbeats list would be useful.
kahnli;1158912I have never had a trade go sour but I also think that the deadbeat list needs to be updated. This is a hobby for some of us but it is also one that we put a lot of hard work into and we don't need to be ripped off when it can be prevented.[/QUOTE said:
We cannot update the 'deadbeat' list if people do not report bad trades. I hear, and have acknowledged, the comments about inactive Mods but the fact remains that there are Mods who are active and can be contacted and the Admin can always be contacted. So a lack of names being added to the 'deadbeat' list cannot be place solely at our feet. If you are having issues with a trade then please contact one of us

Pyro covered it pretty well. But just to reiterate: if you don't report it, we don't know about it. All the mods are seeing this instance because someone reported the issue (I will note, that it's not anybody involved in the thread).

Please report problems to us! Having an up-to-date deadbeat list is good for the health of the entire community. You can always contact us with a heads up if you're worried that a trade may go south (excessive delays, etc) just to put it on our radar.

A helpful hint that general users may not know: When you use the report a PM/post/thread feature, an automate email is sent to all mods and the admin. This can be a good way to make sure you get the first-available person. It also generates a thread in the mod forum where we can discuss the issue.

Last edited:

I'm all for getting that person onto the deadbeat list then.

Back