What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LF Heliamphora, Nepenthes to trade--Help with ID

I have either a N. alata or N. ventrata that I'm looking to trade for any type of Heliamphora. The plant is about 14 inches and has pitchers that are 2-4 inches.

Would appreciate an ID as well.

Pics:

VpB5smi.jpg

xPI2KAS.jpg

That's definitely a N. x ventrata.

Last edited:
ventrata and alata look pretty similar. just curious, how are you able to differentiate between the two?

ventrata and alata look pretty similar.

No, they don't at all. True N. alata (the clue is in its name) retains its ala (wings), whereas Ventrata does not. See:
DSCF0006_17.jpg

Many photos on the Web listed as N. alata are in fact mislabeled plants of either Ventrata or N. gracilliflora or even "boschiana mimic" (which is almost always gracilliflora as well). Most any time you look on eBay for N. alata, you will find plants of Ventrata being sold under that name. Nobody bothers to correct this chronic mislabeling issue.

Last edited:
What are the "wings" you speak of? The little spiky ladder things on the pitcher?

Yes, its the two spiky "flaps" running up the side of the pitcher. Ala refers to these "flaps" in general, and it's also used for other plants (e.g. Sarracenia).

Last edited:
I can't think of anyone who would trade a heliamphora for a ventrata, given how common that hybrid is.

I can't think of anyone who would trade a heliamphora for a ventrata, given how common that hybrid is.

Well, that's definitely not true. His is a well-established plant that I think is worth at least a small, common Heliamphora. If I didn't already have that ubiquitous hybrid growing as a houseplant, I would consider sending a small division of some kind for it.

I've seen people who received heliamphora for free by just asking for it. Nothing to loose in asking

Back