What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radagast

NECPS Editor
Hey Folks - I'm a pretty big fan of Drosera graomogolensis, Drosera esmeraldae, Drosera oblanceolata and would love to add any of them to my collection. I have several species of Drosera that are currently flowering and will be harvesting the seeds once the stalks ripen. If anyone has seeds of this species (or a plant) I'd be happy to part w/ any combination of the following seeds (once I have harvested them of course). Feel free to post here or send me a private message.

-Drosera aliciae
-Drosera burmannii (may also be sessilifolia or a hybrid of both)
-Drosera spatulata "Fraser Island" white flower form
-Drosera tokaiensis

U.S. only please.

P.S. I'm not well enough versed yet on which plants are rare/expensive so if it seems like I'm asking to trade a capensis to obtain a hamata please tell me lol.

Last edited:
You are probably going to have a hard time finding D. esmeraldae. It's rather rare among US hobbyists.

That's a bummer. It's so pretty, I'm amazed it isn't more common.

D.esmeraldae is a fairly difficult South American species. It's pretty rare in cultivation here and usually propagated vegetatively. My D.graomogolensis have flowered several times and never produced seed. I'm not sure if this species needs genetically different pollen or not for fertilization but, it seems likely.

Last edited:
D.esmeraldae is a fairly difficult South American species. It's pretty rare in cultivation here and usually propagated vegetatively. My D.graomogolensis have flowered several times and never produced seed. I'm not sure if this species needs genetically different pollen or not for fertilization but, it seems likely.

Johnny, do you have esmeraldae? I, allegedly, have some. I'd agree that it's fairly difficult. It really likes cool temps and high humidity.

I do. It's a finicky species.

So are you guys giving it separate conditions or growing it along with your other dews in a water tray?

I doubt it would like a water tray. I'm keeping it with the highland Neps for now. 55 or so at night, sometimes a bit lower, 75 at most during the day. Humidity 75%+. That seems to replicate their native conditions fairly well.

It gets slightly different conditions than most of my other Drosera. Many of my SA Drosera are grown in the basement where it stays much cooler under T5's with high humidity domes over the trays. Bright light, cool temps and high humidity are needed to grow most of these plants well. Some of the easier SA species are graomogolensis, tomentosa, latifolia and spiralis. They don't seem as sensitive to temperature and humidity as many of the others and are much better choices to start with.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any South American sundews but from what I've heard from you guys and what I'm finding online, it appears graomogolensis is likely the most adaptable and would be the best choice to start with. I've read that all south american dews are supposed to be self-fertile, including graomogolensis, however they produce significantly more (and more viable) seed when cross-pollinated.

Undoubtedly D.graomogolensis would be the best choice to start with. It's a very forgiving species.

Ok sweet. So to anyone reading this who is interested I'd still trade for any of the plants I mentioned however I'd prefer to start w/ D. graomogolensis.

Thanks!

Bump :)

By all means if anybody has any Drosera seeds they wish to trade (preferably varieties that can be grown in sub tropical conditions w/o a dormancy) I'd love to hear from you. Post or PM.

Thanks!

Back