What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a huge collection of Sarracenia. Many are endangered, many are rare, many are from Meadowview Biological Research Station and expensive to buy. Two things have happened in my collection:
1) They keep reproducing, so I have run out of space
2) I am moving from the Midwest to Arizona and am concerned that they won't do well in The Valley of the Sun.

I put my pitcher plants "to sleep" every winter by cutting off the greenery, spraying the rhizomes with fungicide, and putting them in a plastic bag with some of the moist sphagnum moss. I then refrigerate them. I've been doing this for twenty years and the system works well.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED and promise to be "good parents" to my green-kids, you will need to come to northwest Ohio (just outside of Toledo) next Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving (November 28 and 29). You can pick what you want after we divide the rhizomes (I am keeping a few for myself). I can provide the baggies, moss, and fungicide.

If interested, email me at: nieter-russett@usa.net

Sorry, I don't have time to ship...you've got to bag them up and take them with you.

Don

LOUSY SCIENCE! Why has no one invented a teleporter yet?! The distance between us is frustrating....

Okay, sorry. That last line sounds like a pop song. Good luck with the new homes for your plants!

I would love to take some, however were too far.
However, I dont think they would have too much
Of a hard time re adjusting in arizona. They may thrive

Dam I'm in Cleveland but we are going to Deep Creek in Maryland Wednesday to sunday..

Alas! Not only are you too far away, but living in an apt would prevent me from "running amok" in your sarr wonderland. :( A truly generous offer!

Alas -- 9 hours away ... don't think I didn't think about driving there

Do it nikki, become emperor of sarracenia

You are only 1.5-2 hours from me. I'll be in contact.

If anyone visits this kind give away and takes home exorbitant amount of plants, they could always post a few for a pay-for-postage giveaway. As I'm sure there are many here who would make good homes for them.

Great suggestion, Dave! Count me in.

I would be happy to do this but I still haven't been emailed back yet If all works out and he's fine with it

My only request is that you don't charge people more than the shipping (since you're getting them for free.)
So far only two people are able to come. I am anticipating doing this Saturday at noon (November 29, 2014). If anyone else is interested, email me at: nieter-russett@usa.net

I'm new here and would love to get a serracenia from the folks that come. Would gladly pay for shipping. Thanks so much for doing this!

I'm sorry everyone I did not get enough time to reheat the day off and I have to work now I hope some one will do this I would be awesome. Again sorry everyone

I have received numerous requests to ship plants. I am not being difficult, but I'm less than two weeks away from hip replacement surgery. My wife and I are both professionals and work a lot and I commute back and forth from Phoenix to the Toledo area...there is simply no time or opportunity for us to ship plants to everyone who has so desired.
So far I have one confirmation for Saturday, November 29. If anyone else is interested please call me at 419-490-6466. I truly want to "thin out" my Sarracenia herd, but there is just no way I can move the date or ship any plants given our circumstances. Sorry.

Don

I was able to make it to Don's on Saturday. I wanted to first say Don was a great gracious and quite generous host... especially being just days from hip replacement surgery. He has an amazingly extensive collection. We all unpotted, cleaned, trimmed, and divided the entire collection top to bottom. And in terms of "collection" ... we are talking hundreds and hundreds of plants of every variety.... it was quite overwhelming.

1- (EDIT- all plants left over at Don's are already gone to a new home)....

2- Do to my own limited space, I only kept a handful of plants but then filled a bag with no-id plants that I said I would send out to TF members. I should be able to send out 10 packs at $9 a pop for s/h. I can only do paypal. I will cram as many plants in the box as possible. If you are interested... sign up per below. Copy and pasting the list as you signup and reply. I should be able to ship on the weekend or next monday.

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

Last edited:
1- David F