What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LF non-cps

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I am wanting to setup a small tank with a ceph as the centerpiece. I want it to look very Jurassic looking!

I am looking for miniture plants such as ferns, tillys, and maybe orchids that will look good in this small setup!

I am hoping to trade with just one person so if someone out there has a hand full of plants that fit this category please let me know.

I have lots of plants to trade. Look over my growlist.

And since these aren't cps if you can list any good vendor let me know. I hope this doesn't violate any rules. If so let me know and I will remove.

I have some succulents and some maturity plants

I could do something like these:

Hedera helix 'Congesta'/'Erecta'
Begonia bogneri
Begonia dregei
Begonia fuchsioides (foliosa)
Kalanchoe 'Pink Butterfies'
Agapetes (serpens? I have red or white serpens, plus other species)
Homalocladium platycladium
Deppea obtusiflora
Impatiens namchabarwensis
Woodwardia orientalis
Crassula 'Red Pagoda'
Petrocosmeas (I have several species, being propagated)
Dendrobium kingianum (hopefully--need to check plant for keikis. Australian dendrobium. Update: has keikis, keikis have no roots, yet... I could probably take a small division)

I would likely come up with more ideas, but I'm not home at the moment.

Many of these would require periodic cutting back to keep them small enough. Woodwardia and 'Pink Butterflies' would probably need to be replaced at some point. Woodwardia would get too big but (eventually) makes new plants on the fronds. 'Pink Butterflies' is monocarpic but can be grown from its pink plantlets as well (if done right) or from stem cuttings. Homalocladium might get too big, but could be replaced by cuttings, which root in water. Agapetes and Begonia dregei can be cut back to an caudex which would get bigger and bigger. I have most ready to go. Agapetes is not rooted. I don't know if I have an extra I. namchabarwensis, but cuttings root in a week in water. I think I have a B. dregei but I could check. It also roots easily from cuttings.

All of these (probably including Petrocosmeas) thrive outside here with the exception of Begonia bogneri. Our climate is almost identical to coastal SW Australia, where Cephalotus is from. There are very few climates where all of the above can be kept alive. Keep those alive, and Cephalotus should be happy.

Last edited:

Replied!

I could do something like these:

Hedera helix 'Congesta'/'Erecta'
Begonia bogneri
Begonia dregei
Begonia fuchsioides (foliosa)
Kalanchoe 'Pink Butterfies'
Agapetes (serpens? I have red or white serpens, plus other species)
Homalocladium platycladium
Deppea obtusiflora
Impatiens namchabarwensis
Woodwardia orientalis
Crassula 'Red Pagoda'
Petrocosmeas (I have several species, being propagated)
Dendrobium kingianum (hopefully--need to check plant for keikis. Australian dendrobium. Update: has keikis, keikis have no roots, yet... I could probably take a small division)

I would likely come up with more ideas, but I'm not home at the moment.

Many of these would require periodic cutting back to keep them small enough. Woodwardia and 'Pink Butterflies' would probably need to be replaced at some point. Woodwardia would get too big but (eventually) makes new plants on the fronds. 'Pink Butterflies' is monocarpic but can be grown from its pink plantlets as well (if done right) or from stem cuttings. Homalocladium might get too big, but could be replaced by cuttings, which root in water. Agapetes and Begonia dregei can be cut back to an caudex which would get bigger and bigger. I have most ready to go. Agapetes is not rooted. I don't know if I have an extra I. namchabarwensis, but cuttings root in a week in water. I think I have a B. dregei but I could check. It also roots easily from cuttings.

All of these (probably including Petrocosmeas) thrive outside here with the exception of Begonia bogneri. Our climate is almost identical to coastal SW Australia, where Cephalotus is from. There are very few climates where all of the above can be kept alive. Keep those alive, and Cephalotus should be happy.

Great list and thanks for the offer! I'll have to google these as I'm not familiar.

Any plants that are miniature, fern or vinelike will fit the bill. Plants that will fit in a small dart frog take is the look I am going after.

It's not clear to me whether these are the sorts of plants you are looking for. A couple can be considered miniature, and are classic terrarium plants, for example B. bogneri. A lot of the others would need some attention to keep them small.

That said, this is serious overkill if these are not all of interest, but pictures are easy:

For scale, #5 is in is a 3 inch pot.

1) Begonia foliosa. I'm not sure if this is from the red or pink flowered form.
2) Begonia dregei
3) Hedera helix 'Congesta' or 'Erecta'
4) Woodwardia orientalis rooted bulbils
5) Begonia bogneri
6) Deppea obtusiflora
7) Impatiens namchabarwensis, in bud
8) Kalanchoe 'Pink Butterflies'
9) Homalocladium platycladum
10) Petrocosmea forrestii (I have 5 other species, most behind this in propagation. I have a thread on these...)

Most of those are the actual plants I can send. An exception is the Impatiens namchabarwensis, which is part of an auction right now...

Last edited:
I have a small fern which is absolutely miserable in my care. I can't remember what species it is, but I believe it may be either Davallia trichomanoides or D. fejeensis. It would be far happier in a terrarium, I think.

I could also send a cutting of a Vanilla Orchid (V. planifolia) which will climb profusely, and will require some trimming to keep it small.

I could also send cuttings of some Hoyas (prefer humidity, but well-drained soil) H. carnosa 'compacta', H. curtisii, H. 'mathilde' or some others (I'd have to see what all I have)

I have some red shamrock, but they seem to prefer a dry, cool dormancy, I think cephs do too? but you're welcome to some bulbs if they suit you. Oxalis triangularis.

The only tillies I have are air plants, not broms. Do have a small T. xerographica available.

Jcal,

I maintain about 11 dart frog tanks and have a number of different terrarium suitable plant species. Shoot me a PM if you haven't found what you're looking for. I can likely set you up.

Ive gotten a huge response to this. Thank you all for the offers. I am currently working out the details for a trade.

Thanks again. Offer closed

Much depends upon just how big a tank you have. I too have a variety of plants you may have been interested in. I tend to go for plants that stay small/mini. Had a seen your request before your cut off deadline, I'd have sent you some ideas/trade offers as some of my minis could use dividing.

I would stay away from most of the ferns. IME, ferns quickly tend to become "thugs" in a terr and will try to muscle everything else out. The fact that they often put out underground runners can make them particularly difficult to control.

I also wouldn't recommend ivy. They seem to be highly prone to spidermites and powdery mildew.

Have fun with making your set up! There's a lot one can due to make an attractive display. These are shots from two of mine (though mostly orchids and non-cps):

One of my favorite plants -- maxes out at around 3-4'' tall.

Last edited:
Back