What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone here use any Citric Acid ?

• Thread starter Cthulhu138
  • Start date
A chemical company just accidentally shipped me 2 lbs of citric acid which I have absolutely no use for. I'd hate to just throw this away if it's something that somebody else can use. It's food grade, I know that some people use it for canning etc. Also good for removing hard water stains and has other cleaning applications. I'll leave this up for a week before tossing the product. Let me know if you want this. Shipping is on me.

Last edited:
I use it in wine making, but it would take me a LONG time to use a full two pounds. If no one else does have a use for it, I'd happily Paypal for shipping, no need to punish a good deed!

It's yours if you want it. Just PM me your address.

Man I wish I wouldve ssw this! Congrats vbkid!

He hasn't claimed it yet if you still want it Eric.

Yes I most def do. I use it as a pH adjuster:).

Last edited by a moderator:
No argument from me at all, I don't use it in large amounts. Enjoy and thanks for this giveaway!

Split it with you if you want:).

I'll be good :) Have probably a half pound that will last me a while!

I'm also a beekeeper, and use food grade citric acid to lower the pH of sugar syrup used for supplementary feed of my bees. My current supply is just now getting low, and I was about to purchase more.

But I will defer to others, since my need would not necessarily be any greater than theirs. And they're much closer, too.

Last edited:
Its 2 lbs. I really have zero issues sending both of you some;).

I use it, mixed with water, to remove algae from aquarium plants. The water/citric acid solution is acidic enough to kill algae, but gentle enough on the plants. I use it on species like Anubias, Bucephalandra and other tough aquarium plants.

That's a nice give away Cthulhu138!

Last edited:
Thanks but this is johnnys giveaway.

That's okay. I just wanted to add to this thread, to show how versatile this chemical can be. It is also, commonly used by orchid growers, in regions with high mineral content water. It is periodically mixed with their irrigation water, in order to dissolve and rinse away the build-up of undesirable minerals. Some affects of the undesirable minerals are reducing the soil solution pH, below optimal levels for nutrient absorption, and creating deposits on leaf surfaces, reducing light penetration and reducing photosynthesis in the leaves.

If you use R.O. membranes, it is used, periodically, to flush the membrane's surface, clearing away both organic detritis and mineral deposits that can foul the membrane.

It is also unique, in being central to the Krebs/Citric Acid Cycle. Where it can be metabolized by any creature that utilizes oxygen in its metabolism.

Cthulhu138,
It seems like you have quite a popular giveaway, on your hands. Good work.

Last edited:
Back