What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata 'Marston's Dragon' Giveaway

(Edit: correction to the name: Drosera binata 'Marston Dragon')

I will ultimately be giving away several plants, most likely, plants that resulted when I divided a new plant. I just divided the plant. Because the roots will not immediately be extensive, and the plant will need adjustment, I'll let this go a week. However, I'm constrained by lack of space and of enough light, so I may end up sending these off faster than one per week.

This giveaway is just for the first plant, but there should be more.

Usual rules, winner pays shipping. I'd prefer to ship in pot, so shipping is $7.15 (or slightly less, closer to CA).

The original plant and its propagation is documented here (in progress):

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...binata-Marston-s-Dragon?p=1175823#post1175823

Here's what the plant for giveaway looks like, in a 2 3/4 inch pot. It will presumably need a bigger one almost immediately, but this makes sense for shipping:

Two views of the same plant:

Last edited:
1. huy716- thanks Randy

1. huy716- thanks Randy

Interesting signature, but not completely acccurate! I was involved in a project in which David Blaine was submerged and performing magic tricks underwater for about 9 minutes on a single breath!

Yeah but that was magic man....wasn't it? Thanks for doing this RandyS very generous.

Last edited:
1. huy716- thanks Randy
2. Darlantin - thank you very much!

1. huy716- thanks Randy
3. savagegarden - thanks!

Not entering, but I do grow this plant, and I must say that it is both highly rewarding and quite prolific! Good luck to all!

1. huy716- thanks Randy
4. CorneliusSchrute!? DONKA!

1. huy716- thanks Randy
4. CorneliusSchrute!? DONKA!
5. The Griffin-If you get this far, thanks!

Random.org says #5, The Griffin.

Unfortunately, the divided plants have since exhibited considerable dieback. I'm not quite sure what caused this. One possibility is that when I put the plants outside (last Thursday) it was 87 F with 17% humidity, which will end up being one of our hottest/driest days of the year. However, I wonder if something happened to the plant around the time I got it. Even leaf cuttings exhibited dieback, which I find surprising. I bought this at a retail store, and it's possible the conditions there were different from where it was grown.

From what I understand, it's virtually impossible to kill this plant by transplanting. So I expect patience is necessary.

The solution is that I can hold on to the plant (or a different plant) until it starts putting on new growth to be on the safe side. And/or I could supplement it with something else. As far as CPs go, it's pretty limited. For example a small D. binata var. binata or a small D. adelae (from the roots of a slightly larger plant). Or something non-CP.

Back