What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giveway: Passiflora 'Purple Haze' + one more

This is a giveaway for postage for 2 people, decided in about a week by random number.

Passiflora 'Purple Haze' is a very solid hybrid, fairly temperature tolerant and hardy to about 18 F, I understand.

It's P. caerulea x P. amethystina long peduncle.

I got cuttings a while ago from a friend, and for historical reasons (partly due to squirrels) I have not had a blooming plant. I'll give you a link to one of my friend's photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/max_parker/9250868900/
(It's of course the purple ones)

It's also very easy to root. I started some cuttings 8 days ago in a glass of water:

They look a little ratty, but they have roots and new growth, which is what's important. I'll pot those up in the next day or two.

The "one more": I'll let the winners choose from a second 'Purple Haze' cutting, a P. sanguinolenta cutting, or maybe P. loefgrenii 'Iporanga' or maybe a variegated P. membranacea seedling/rooted cutting (a cool grower). I may add more possibilities. Or, if someone has a request I may be able to do that, particularly if they are willing to root something. I'm rooting P. loefgrenii cuttings at them moment, and they've just started, so I don't know how good my supply is. An unrooted cutting of that would be a sure thing. I will also have seeds of P. loefgrenii 'Corupa', soon, but I'm not sure when they will be ripe.

I'm going to put things in tiny pots, so shipping should be $7.15, or slightly less closer to California.

1. SubRosa - this is all your fault Randy....thanks!

Great giveaways as usual Randy! I would love to enter but want to be successful in keeping this plant alive. I would probably keep it in a huge square trellis pot that I have in order to be able to move it inside for winter if I may make a request. From your suggestions last month, I was wondering if you possibly had any extra P Elegans available as a choice?

Just curious as I remember you mentioning that one in your advice for my area.

Thanks

Looking back over the whole thread, P. 'Manta' would be my first choice for a second variety. Provided it's not as touchy as loefgrenii a cutting would be no problem.

I haven't grown P. elegans yet. I did get cuttings recently, which last I checked have not rooted. Also seeds from another source. Nothing yet. I really should ask around in advance of the PSI (Passiflora Society International) meeting, which is next month in SF.

Unfortunately that's an old photo of P. 'Manta'--several years old. I lost my plant and my current one is tiny (as in two tiny leaves...). Again, I should see if I can get a bigger plant. Again I may have to ask around.

Back