What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Companion Plant Giveaway

Hi all,

I have a couple companion plants in my temperate bog that went to seed and could use a thinning. Thought I'd offer some up to members here for postage if there is interest. The two most interesting are Xyris (Yellow-eyed grass) species and then a couple Eleocharis.

I'm not sure of the identity of either of the Xyris, but I'll show them to our state botanist some time next week and see what he says. I'll refer to them by number until I can hopefully get something definitive.

Xyris sp. 1- This one was a gift from a friend with a native plant nursery. Original stock was presumably collected somewhere in the Florida Parishes. This species has leaf fans that have reached 8-12" tall in my cultivation with flower spikes rising 2-3'. Leaves are all green.

Xyris sp. 2- This species was part of the existing vegetation on a wetlands site that we restored near Pearl River, Louisiana (St. Tammany Parish). I spread seed of it over the site and also took a single seed head home. Germination was highly successful. This species doesn't look as tall as sp. 1, but seems more robust. It also has red leaf bases

The Eleocharis were volunteers into the bog, so they are likely "ditch weeds". They don't get overly large and add a nice texture, but they do need to be kept managed.

I'll give the Xyris away as a package and winners may elect to add the Eleocharis or not. Use the typical giveaway numbered format, and winners will be chosen by random number generator next Friday (8/14). I'll select 5 winners at first and go from there. Shipping will be a flat fee of $6 and will be through USPS priority.

Back